Budget Panel Mount Radios

eastmeg2

I'm looking for a budget panel mount radio to put in the Buzzard trike I'm restoring.

It's seems that the Declom Air960 is the only radio that fits this category.

Delta Aircraft Leasing Ltd

Reason I'm looking to a panel mount radio, rather than attaching a handheld is that the the Buzzard cockpit will have no floor and I'd prefer not to lose a radio.

Or, if anyone else has experience with using a handheld in a really open trike like a Redback or Outback I'd appreciate any tips and might consider a Vertex instead.

I have a thread running on the restoration project at:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/trikes/25428-buzzard-trike-restoration.html

Cheers,

Glen

Guest Crezzi

All the naked trikes I've flown had handhelds - just use a clip-on safety lanyard for additional security.

Cheers

John

Guest brentc

Don't be deceived by the Delcom, it might look small and in the dash from the pictures, however what is really is, is a handheld but with the numbers and controls on the top so it can be panel mounted. When installed it's quite deep in the dash.

Hi Brent,

You're quite right about it being a hand-held, though it has the appeal of being able to be panel mounted too.

The Delcom website gives the dimensions of the radio only being 1.5 inches x 2.5 inches x 5 inches without the battery. I'd estimate the battery would add another 4 inches to its length to make it 9 inches long.

But it seems that for around the same price a Vertex hand-held will be a better proposition being water resistant, more powerful and having dual frequency watch capability.

So I may take John's advice when it comes time to get a radio for the Buzzard.

Cheers,

Glen

Guest brentc

I have experience with the Vertex VXA 220 and VXA710.

My preference would be for the 220. The buttons are easier to press, it's more robust in design and has better volume if used as a handheld. My 710 suffers from a speaker issue because the design of the case is too tight, the buttons are hard to press and it's not that easy to use.

Guest hatrack

I've got a VXA-150 (which looks like a VXA-220 to me). I made an aluminium bracket which puts the radio in a convenient place and the belt clip clips onto this bracket. It can't come off. I wish my hand held GPS had have had a belt clip, because it fell to Earth when the wrist lanyard broke!

The headset socket on my Vertex is bodgey and I've heard the same from other mates. I have to retain the plug with a rubber band. Consider an Icom!

I run an xcom760 and the reports and performance I get are great. If installed correctly they are the equivalent of any of the others. However they are not in the $500 range. You might be better off with a hand held for that price or a 2nd hand one from the states.