Just landed

BJB10

g'day - I've just recently joined the site but am currently based in the UK. I learnt to fly in Moorabbin, Victoria many years ago - what a great country Australia is to fly in - I've many happy memories of flying to Flinders Island, Mornington Peninsula, Apollo Bay, Phillip Island etc - mainly around Victoria. I recently took possession of an Escapade taildragger - very similar to the US Highlander. (http://www.justaircraft.com)

I'm based at a farmstrip in south England - the Escapade is a bit of a challenge for me but good fun. Check out the following link on youtube of my mate Clive landing his Escapade at his home strip - I took the video and he did the fun bit.

- if no luck with that type in 'escapade taildragger landing' into google.cheers Brian

Guest Decca

Hi Brian, :welcome:to the forums.

Apart from flying Escapades, what are you doing in the UK? Are you there for the long term?

Those aircraft look like near exact copies to the Skyfox/Kitfox/Gazelle.

Regards, Decca.

hi Decca - good to hear from you.

the escapade is similar to the kitfox - except lots of baggage room in the back plus 70 litres fuel capacity - wingfold in 3 minutes without disconnecting anything etc. great machine - a bit tail-heavy but that has its advantages. - though I'm due to replace a leafspring any day now due to the long term effect of bouncing it around a bit - the joy of taildraggers - (or 'misery on springs' - whatever way one wants to look at it). I've got a rotax 912 UL up front with powerfin prop - certainly enough grunt for what I need. some of the guys prefer jabiru engines or even the belgian ul260i.

I see you are based at Ballarat - I did my first solo cross country there from Melbourne. I think Mission Aviation are also there - is that right ?

take care

Brian

Guest watchboss1

Hi everyone,

First time on this site, and the driver of the yellow Escapade in the latest clip sent in.

It's a Reality Aircraft Escapade taildragger powered by a Jabiru 2200A 85 hp.

The strip I fly from here in England is nice and quietly tucked away in the Sussex countryside.

Looks like this is a very busy and well supported site, so I'll stick around !

Regards,

Clive.

Guest Decca

Thanks Brian.

Mission Aviation Fellowship moved on about 5-6years ago (I found out today) & Coldstream was mentioned, but they have one or more bases in North Queensland, closer to their New Guinea operations.

Be watchful of the "little bit tail heavy".

Regards, Decca.

I think Mission Aviation are also there - is that right ?

G'day Brian, welcome along...

MAF have recently moved up to Cairns (QLD) I think... within the last 12 months or so...

Have you got an interest in that field? Because that's what I would love to do in the near future!

Clive: Welcome along as well, and yes stick around... the greatest aviation forum you'll find I can tell you!

All the greenness over there looks very nice!:thumb_up:

Have fun, and fly safe:thumb_up:

Guest watchboss1

Hi, and thanks for the welcome Decca and Tomo !

Brian's strip is 5 nautical miles from mine, so it's only a couple of minutes by air.

Sometimes we use his plane, sometimes mine or sometimes both.

When Brian said the tail of the Escapade is heavy, he means when you lift it on the ground. In the air, the C of G is absolutely fine.

Thanks for your concern though !

The Escapade is an idea which was originally derived from the Avid and then the Kitfox as Brian said.

The internal tubing behind the seats in the those aircraft has been done away with by clever re-design into ' lattice' like structures just inboard of the rear door pillars

This has produced a baggage area capable accepting a maximum 35 kg load !!

Obviously there is a weight trade-off with passenger and or fuel load.

Maximum all up weight is 450 kg, so it's a usefully little plane !

Yes it is nice and green over here, but that's because we get more rain and less sun than you guys 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

All the best,

Clive.

hi Tomo - hi Decca

yep I did some (basic) training with Mission Aviation in NZ years ago with intention of doing some time with them in N. Australia and hopefully PNG - but it never eventuated due to me coming back to UK. anyway I can always dream. they have some pretty good pilots. They do need fit chaps though as there is a lot of twisting - turning - unloading - loading going on and it takes a toll on your back - that is one thing they reiterated with me - so being an old cogger over 50 (just) - thats me out. I think it would be an awesome experience though.

well must sign off - watchboss1 (Clive) is due to help me fit the new leafspring - take care Brian

BJB10.

Welcome.

West Sussex, been there several times, did a year at Plumpton Ag. College, plus worked at Bolney and East Hoathly. Go back to see family in Hastings and Farnham area occasionally. Nice in Summer.