Took the wife up for her first flight with me.

Guest Brett Campany

Guest Brett Campany

Years and years ago when I was a kid I used to dream of taking my mates flying. Finally now I can do that.

I took Khadine flying today, I think she was pretty nervous but she has faith in me so we headed down to Serpentine nice and early and I tell you what, we couldn't have picked a better day for it! There was absolutely no wind, just a touch of high level cloud and the entire airfield to ourselves!

We departed Serpentine about 9:15am, stayed in the circuit for a touch and go before heading for Rockingham. I contacted Perth Radar to notify them of our flight and they advised us of three other aircraft in the area. We maintained 1500ft until we flew over the coast of Rockingham and turned left to track down to Mandurah and Port Bouvard. She was loving it! It was a really smooth flight. I showed Khadine how to keep an eye out for other aircraft and already she picked two others, one flying away from us at about 3000ft and another doing aerobatics over the land. From here we descended to 1000ft and had a very leisurely flight down the coast watching dolphins, surfers and just gazing at the brilliant blue of the ocean.

We flew past Mandurah and on towards Port Bouvard before heading inland and climbing to 2500ft. Once back in the training area I told Khadine that I wanted to show her a simulated engine failure just so she has an idea of how much time we have to land. It wasn't until we landed later that morning that Khadine admitted to me that she was very, very nervous about the whole thing. I briefed the wife before bringing the engine back to idle and went on to my engine failure and pax briefs.

Khadine couldn't believe that once the airspeed was back to 60kts, we had so much time to pick a landing ground and make the relevant (simulated) calls.

After that little demonstration we climbed back to 2000ft and tracked back to Serpentine. I'm just really happy she enjoyed it so much. Khadine's even looking forward to book more flights!

So in all, a very enjoyable day was had. We've now got so much more to look forward to!

Here's a short video of the flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFv-4xS4VEQ"

1461731017_Khadine1.jpg.8ec9ba02baba4bc36eadd9f7b13b3bf2.jpg

2067951721_Khadine2.jpg.86ac9d9266eb806da314e8941e4fda2f.jpg

Mandurah.jpg.b9323f7f1c3cbeec821b203913f9568a.jpg

302546656_Meinmyelement.jpg.a6077b81eda594500348885e1b0c2862.jpg

1805709606_OnroutetoRockingham.jpg.219703ba069efd7f9d01acec1ca715c4.jpg

1223907445_PenguinIsland.jpg.5abe6174b3bf16fee34d790ffa39e696.jpg

43485621_Perthcity.jpg.a202913b3dfb06f3517fdfe1a51cfe07.jpg

807273413_PortBouvard.jpg.a1a47e35577f562156dba9189e99c12a.jpg

1523590338_TexanPrep1.jpg.b9a4e9cb1134647130de13636dc09205.jpg

2084542311_Texanprep2.jpg.f998174b81669881d46e7d8e9bfd150a.jpg

782299140_TexanPrep3.jpg.9fe4d4beae6c94f613343533caef1ce8.jpg

466071334_WithWayne1.jpg.3258cef9a5a259dfdeeed7ed05e5d630.jpg

734546577_withWayne2.jpg.4671e01cce79cb2769409caac33c6a23.jpg

You're a lucky man Brett. My wife still hasn't been flying with me.

Thanks for the photos. That's a very pretty bit of coastline. I've ridden it lots, but never flown there.

On a side note, it never ceases to amaze me how beautiful women often end up with ugly men:laugh:

Guest Brett Campany
On a side note, it never ceases to amaze me how beautiful women often end up with ugly men:laugh:

hahahaha flying not the only "quality" I have mate!! :thumb_up:

Guest basscheffers

Awesome man, I did the same thing last week. Did a triangle from Parafield, around Mt Barker and back to South Para Reservoir via some of the small towns in the hills. She loved it but did start to get a little queasy near the end. (She does that in moving objects, especially if excited about the mode of transport or the destination - she'll barf on windy mountain roads going to a ski resort, but on the way back she's fine!)

No engine failure drills for me; sticking below the CTA there is not too much clearance over the hills! Though that didn't stop the CFI from pulling one at no more than 1000' AGL during checkride. High and low key out the window - if it looks good, go for it!

Crosswind was pretty bad, so I did warn her there's a good chance I would go around, possibly asking for a different runway, but as it turned out that wasn't needed.

Next weekend, if the weather permits, we are going to the Foxbat fly-in at Hummocks Station. The Sporty will be an "Honorary Foxbat".

Guest Brett Campany
Awesome man, I did the same thing last week. Did a triangle from Parafield, around Mt Barker and back to South Para Reservoir via some of the small towns in the hills. She loved it but did start to get a little queasy near the end. (She does that in moving objects, especially if excited about the mode of transport or the destination - she'll barf on windy mountain roads going to a ski resort, but on the way back she's fine!)No engine failure drills for me; sticking below the CTA there is not too much clearance over the hills! Though that didn't stop the CFI from pulling one at no more than 1000' AGL during checkride. High and low key out the window - if it looks good, go for it!

Crosswind was pretty bad, so I did warn her there's a good chance I would go around, possibly asking for a different runway, but as it turned out that wasn't needed.

Next weekend, if the weather permits, we are going to the Foxbat fly-in at Hummocks Station. The Sporty will be an "Honorary Foxbat".

That's brilliant!! Get some photos out at Hummocks for me, would love to see that.

There's nothing like having your better half enjoying flying. I feel for anyone who's other half can't fly because it' a passion like no other!

Guest Brett Campany
That's great for you & your wife Brett! It adds a whole new chapter to the ongoing story doesn't it. My young 53 y.o. lady goes up with me about once a month, I wouldn't say she loves it but enjoys it nonetheless. Last flight I had her videoing whilst I flew and she said that made her a little "queezy". So will have to make up some form of camera mount so she doesn't have to hold the camera all the time. Any suggestions out there??Cheers

Dexter

Funny you should mention that because I've just stumbled across this

Oregon Scientific | Australia | Store | Action Cams

I'm looking at getting some of these smaller cameras so I can film from various points in the cockpit.

Funny you should mention that because I've just stumbled across thisOregon Scientific | Australia | Store | Action Cams

I'm looking at getting some of these smaller cameras so I can film from various points in the cockpit.

Good onya Brett, and I agree mate us ugly blokes get always get the good looking girls but how is our secret hey,

As far a those cams I own the black one shown onthat website it's the ATC3k and it is great!!!!! I mount it on my front forks of my bike and the footage is unreal-if you buy one buy it off ebay, there is a Oz seller who is nearly $100 cheaper that Oregon Pacific stores and they have all the accesories aswell

Guest Brett Campany
Good onya Brett, and I agree mate us ugly blokes get always get the good looking girls but how is our secret hey,As far a those cams I own the black one shown onthat website it's the ATC3k and it is great!!!!! I mount it on my front forks of my bike and the footage is unreal-if you buy one buy it off ebay, there is a Oz seller who is nearly $100 cheaper that Oregon Pacific stores and they have all the accesories aswell

Sweet, I'll check that out right now!

Guest basscheffers

If you are looking for cameras, there are a few things to consider:

- CCD vs. CMOS: Seen those whacky "bent prop" effect on videos? That would be a CMOS sensor's "rolling shutter" feature. It basically reads a pixel, then moves on the the next. So for each frame in the video, each pixel was actually a different moment in time! That causes the weird distortions on very fast moving objects. CCD uses a whole-frame shutter; all pixels take their sample at the same time, the entire sensor is read and reset, then the cycle repeats. Every pixel in each frame was taken at the same point in time, so you don't have that issue.

- Frame rate: if you want to upload your video to YouTube and other sharing sites, they change everything to 25fps. Converting from 30fps to 25fps will always cause jerky video, so best get a camera that does 25fps natively.

The camera mentioned above does 30fps only, so you have that issue. I can't see if it has CMOS or CCD. Not an issue when not filming through a prop, but could be for you!

I am currently thinking of getting a pocketable camera myself, but haven't found something that catches my eye yet. Ideally, I'd like an audio input as well. Ironically, the most suitable one would be a plain old Mini-DV tape camera! CCD? check. 25fps? Check. Audio in? check. Too bad I'd like something smaller so it is easier to mount.

Guest drizzt1978

HERO CAM

Google it,

you can zip tie it to the outside of the plane if your game!!!

Guest Maj Millard

Nice stuff Brett, you've come a long way pretty quick. I like the way you kept those beaches within shooting range. That Texan looks like a nice plane for a low-winger. Enjoyed the video and photos.

I also had the wife on board this weekend, first time in a while. Went an hour and a half up the coast to a little cane-farm fly-in. Stayed overnight, meet new friends and old ones, got pretty XXXXed on good red that night...all good.

To top it off, next day on our return back to Townsville got cleared through Townsville Class C airspace. I didn't request it, the controller offered, and I was happy to accept !!. Must be the new transponder I've fitted to the Lightwing recently..

Wifey has flown with me a lot in the past, in the Drifter and others, but not so much in the Latest Lightwing. Must be catching....

I remember when I first took the daughter up when she was about six, it's precious cargo allright.

And with the wife, hell, you've got to do a good job, otherwise you'll live with the consequences for the next two months won't you ?!!

On the 27th it's the daughters turn again, to another small one day fly-in......wish me luck...........024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Brett Campany

Major, that's gold mate! Those are the kind of weekends I'm really looking forward to! Doesn't this make life really worth living! Being able to get up there and get away from it all.

Sounds like you and I both have a big day on the 27th, I'll be taking my Mum flying for the very first time on that day. If she's anything like she was when I took her 4WDing a few years ago.... well lets just say I better take some good ear plugs!

Cheers for the kind words mate, one day in the future we'll sit down and have a few glasses of red and ponder where to go next!

Cheers!

:thumb_up:

If she's anything like she was when I took her 4WDing a few years ago.... well lets just say I better take some good ear plugs!

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif I'm sure You'll love it all the same mate!!

Hey just pull out headset plug!!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Brett, we are destined to have a Larger or red sometime I'm sure. Mate, flying is about doing your thing, meeting like people, and hopefully being lucky enough to share it with other people occasionally, and turn them on also. If it's a member of the family or neighbour etc...even better.

When I had the Drifter every Tom, Dick, or Harry would end up in the back seat (and a few Lassies also), I flew rides all the time.

With the Lightwing I don't seem to really care if somebody is beside me or not......just through circumstance I do a lot of milage on my own, talking to the tool box, on the other seat.

So when somebody nice comes for a ride, I make it a special occasion for me and them.

Lately I've been picking on younger folk, and it is good to see the look on their faces when they realize...'hey this is a REAL video game !!'.........Good luck with you'r Mum, that's special...........................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif