Radios, radio enforsment & listening watch in Yarra Valley. YLIL, YCEM

Sorry the heading should read 'endorsment'

G'day all,

I'm getting my Aerochute back next week, all fixed up as NEW from the factory. So will be in the skys around Wandin and the Yarra Valley soon.

I've just ordered a radio online today, got an Icom with the VOR feature, should be pretty good.

I don't have my RaAus radio endorsment yet, I will do that sometime soon at Coldstream, but I used to fly GA so understand basics.

I'm not wanting to make lots of calls and won't be flying cross country in the Aerochute, but being a busy enough area with 2 CTAFs close by want to keeep a listening watch.

Questions:

Is the radio endorsment a big deal to get?

For anyone in the area, is most traffic using the CTAF 119.1 or Melbourne Radar or Melbourne centre frequencies? I am right on the edge of all these???

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Also, I wonder about the idea of having threads for people wanting to know specific info for particular areas.

Is the radio endorsment a big deal to get?

No, even from scratch. However it is not required if you have a Flight Radio Telephone Operators Licence which you get through GA. Used to come with RPPL not sure about now.

Guest Mad Dave

I'd be keeping an ear on the CTAF for YLIL YCEM, and a GOOD eye because you will be operating in the training area for both, so there will be plenty of traffic about (especially on the weekends). I live out the back of Mt. Evelyn, so I will keep my eyes peeled for you! You weren't up a few weeks back were you?

D.

Guest ozzie

The wording on my GA radio operators is that it is only current with a medical even tho it is perpetual.

Hi Dave,

No not me flying in the PPC yet. I have also seen someone else flying an Aerochute over Wandin, if someone knows who this is let me know.

I'm looking forward to getting up in the area, the scenery is a bit better than at Weeribee where I did the conversion for RaAus.

My GA medical is long expired, so I might have to get out to Coldstream and fix that up, was planning on getting endorsment in the Jabiru soon anyway - good excuse fo that.

Guest drizzt1978

Just go and sit the radio endorsement, I did it without study and got 90%.

Its quite asy if you have been listening to other people for a while....

Guest brentc

Hi Steve, did you still have your flight radio operators licence when you flew GA? If so, these remain valid forever if I understand correctly.

I did my GFPT, and passed all my exams, never finished my NAV's though for PPL. So I'm conversent with the general idea of radio calls, I don't have flight radio operators licence in my log book, however this may have been part of GFTPT?? Either way, sounds like I will just get to CEM soon.

For anyone in the area, is most traffic using the CTAF 119.1 or Melbourne Radar or Melbourne centre frequencies? I am right on the edge of all these???

Most times we're on 119.1, with 135.7 (Melbourne Radar) on the second frequency. On weekends you'll hear a fair bit of traffic on the CTAF with several aircraft in the circuit and one or two skydive planes and charters coming and going. Bit quieter during the week though!