Amberley Airbase

Guest undertaker73

Guest undertaker73

Can anybody help? Is there any viewing areas or locations where i could see F111 operations at Amberley Airbase. Was at the Airshow this year and the Aadvark didnt fly on the sunday due to the weather conditions.

No, there isn't any viewing areas at Amberly. I was lucky enough to see them fly at Avalon, I see them on cadets trips ;) and I hope they are at Wide Bay this year. Sorry to gloat :P

Well you might be lucky on Frasier Island. Came over the sand hills from Lake Allom just North of the wreck and there was a F111 heading South just on the breaker line. I could see into the cockpit so they must have been under 50'. Wings back and going like the clappers and kicking up water spray behind. Looked like they were having a ball!!!

Guest Cloudsuck

If you can find your way through Ipswich (Leichhardt) to the back gate (via Old Toowoomba Road). Drive up to the back gate and then turn right before going through the gate, (Sewell Road) you can park up against the fence and face the runway. You will be about 250m from the runway. But DON"T get your camera out. They usually don't fly after lunch on Friday or on Sat or Sun.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=amberley+qld&sll=-25.005973,135.703125&sspn=39.140393,78.837891&ie=UTF8&ll=-27.63206,152.712793&spn=0.018972,0.038495&z=15

...... But DON"T get your camera out.........

I forgot about going up to the back fence, might be a decent idea. However, I am not sure how SECPOL would react to people turning up up at the back fence and just sitting there having a look. Even if they are fine, most definately do not have a camera anywhere in sight, that would be one of the worst mistakes you would ever make.

Guest Cloudsuck

G'day Nathan, SECPOL will most likely stop and ask what you are doing and make sure you don't have a camera. But that is about it.

Heh Guess So. I guess I am a little bit wary because of a dealing with SECPOL last time I was inside Amberley. Wasn't me personally, but it nearly got the group of cadets that was on base chucked out.

Guest Cloudsuck

Yes it is important to remember that their bite is worse than their bark. I spent 6 years as a SECPOL doggie at Amberley. It's fine to look over the fence but if you go over, you will have a big 'black and tan' hanging off you ;)

I couldnt tell you what the law actually is, but it has something to do with taking photos of inside the air base. If SECPOL thinks you are taking photos, or you have a camera with you and they think you are about to, they will most likely ask you to move on, pretty much because of the illegality of photos of the base.

Thats my understanding of it at least, but that is only from what I have gathered from signs inside and outside the base saying no photos, and from general word of mouth, so feel free to correct if anything I have said is wrong.

Guest Cloudsuck
Is it illegal to have a camera on a public road alongside an airbase? Does anyone know what the law really is?

No but if your take a picture of a Defence establishment it is an offence under the Defence Act of 1903.

DEFENCE ACT 1903 - SECT 82

Sketching etc. of fortifications prohibited

(1) If:

(a) a person makes a sketch, drawing, photograph, picture or painting of any defence installation in Australia or of any part of one; and

(b) the person has no lawful authority to do so;

then:

© the person is guilty of an offence; and

(d) all sketches, drawings, photographs, pictures, and paintings, and all tools and all materials or apparatus for sketching, drawing, photographing or painting found in his or her possession are forfeited and may be destroyed, sold, or otherwise disposed of, as the Governor‑General directs.

(1A) The maximum penalty for an offence under subsection (1) is a fine of $200, imprisonment for 6 months, or both.

No but if your take a picture of a Defence establishment it is an offence under the Defence Act of 1903.DEFENCE ACT 1903 - SECT 82

Sketching etc. of fortifications prohibited

(1) If:

(a) a person makes a sketch, drawing, photograph, picture or painting of any defence installation in Australia or of any part of one; and

(b) the person has no lawful authority to do so;

then:

© the person is guilty of an offence; and

(d) all sketches, drawings, photographs, pictures, and paintings, and all tools and all materials or apparatus for sketching, drawing, photographing or painting found in his or her possession are forfeited and may be destroyed, sold, or otherwise disposed of, as the Governor‑General directs.

(1A) The maximum penalty for an offence under subsection (1) is a fine of $200, imprisonment for 6 months, or both.

(1B) Plus SECPOL are the ones with the guns!! 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Guest undertaker73

Thanks for the information. I was not aware that you could not take pictures of an Airbase. Didnt thnk looking for F111's was going to be so difficult. Apreciate the feedback!