what paint to use for sail cloth

Paint? I think you just use ArmourAll...! though there is a few opinions on that as well! I know that's what my instructor uses on his Drifter. And it looks great! and acts as a bit of a uv barrier as well.

I didn't know that you would bother with painting the skin... generally if it's faded and looking not very nice, it's probably time to re skin...?!

Just my thoughts...

Paint for Drifter

Thanks TOMMO,

The skins are only 5 months old. I just wqant to block out the uv rays so they last longer. A few people have told me to paint them on top, that is suppose to stop the uv rays from breaking down the fabric.

Thanks

Monty

No worrys Monty, I'm sorry I can't help you out with info on whether you should paint the top or not....

I'm sure someone else with more knowledge than myself will help you out here.

By the way, Welcome onboard:welcome:

Guest brentc

Don't use armour all. There are products suited for this. If it's hangared full time and covered with sheets etc you're talking about a long lifetime for the skins without any product.

Thanks Brentc, It is in a machinery shed with a open front and does get some sun light. I saw one painted with silver frost but looks like sh!!. I have seen a couple painted with paint in hangers down south but not sure what sort of paint they used.I am in Winton Western Qld so the uv rays are very strong out here.

Thanks for the reply.

Monty

the info below is copied from another (Skyranger) forum the writer is American so his materials are those available in the USA.

I also read somewhere that if you can see light through the painted fabric then the UV protection is probably not all that great.

Cheers

Davidh

I reveiwed the posts on painting the Skyranger fabric and started practicing on fabric covered cardboard using different tools, brushes, rollers and pads and different mixtures of the Floetrol. I found the best method as indicated in earlier posts of a high quality foam roller and a high quality brush. I painted the underside of the horizontal stabilizer and it looked good--even better after the second coat. I bought the highest quality latex exterior, high gloss enamel white for the white potions of the plane.

It looks great. Mine was not clear coated and the fabric was grey where the aluminum tubes rubbed on the fabric. Insects were smashed into the weave of the fabric and almost impossible to remove. The belly was very dirty and again impossible to clean. I wanted to be able to clean it and protect the fabric.

The best method was already discussed -- roll the paint on as evenly as possible and then use a wet, but paint scrapped off brush, to lightly even out the roller bubbles. I also had a water spray bottle that I used to spray the surface and the brush periodically. I found I could only do one panel at a time before it dried too much. I used more than the recommended Floetrol and sprayed the can brush and roller pan regularly to add a bit more moisture. I put two coats on everything--and may put another coat on the tops of the fuselage, wings and stabilizer. All the white parts took 3 quarts of paint -- I was careful to apply thin coats. I painted over the SkyRanger logo planning to simply purchase a new logo to place over the painted image. I took an exacto knife and scrapped the white paint off the red label and it came off just fine.

My plane is yellow and white. I was shopping for a good yellow (not too orange or green) when I realized I really liked the Chevrolet yellow on new cars. I took a swatch from the promotional brochure with the color choices to the paint store and they matched the color. All the white painting took 12 hours and the yellow took another 4 but I am very happy with the results.

It is not glossy like a smooth surfaced plane but it is clean, white and sealed and has excellent UV protection. My plane was not clear coated so it had no UV protection.

One can see brush marks when very close but it is a great improvement, easier to clean, full UV protection and one cannot see the inner frame and it looks sharp. I am very satisfied. I will need to re-weigh it to see how much was added but I estimate 3-4 pounds of solids were added with the paint.

Dale

I painted the top surfaces of my Skyranger with 303 protectant expecting UV protection. I then went OS for 6 weeks leaving my plane in a hangar with a Thruster that had no UV protection.

Neither plane were touched during that six weeks.

On return I found black mold/fungus spots all over the treated areas on my aircraft.

The non treated areas were free of growth as was the Thruster.

My enthusiasm for this product evaporated very quickly

davidh

i have posted some other material into the Articles section re UV and painting aircraft.

As far as I know when describing paints latex, Alkyl, Acrylic and Glycero are equalavent terms in different markets.

I'd be pleased if some one more knowledgeble than me could clarify.

Davidh

Thanks Davidh,

That is great info, I now have somewhere to start. I appreciate the time everyone has taken to reply as I am only new at this game and need all the help I can get.

Thanks again

Monty

Try Bill Moyes the hang glider bloke (or his factory anyway).I don't know the contact details but google will.They have Dragonfly aircraft for aerotowing hang gliders which have been painted with a UV resistant paint.These planes spend very many hours in the sun at the very hottest time of year and still look brand new.Hope this helps.

Guest Maj Millard

Monty, I recently sold my 582 Drifter after eleven years of ownership. It had 650 hrs on it when I sold it and still had the original sails on it (1995 model). Bought it in Charters Towers with 160 hrs on it and then it spent the rest of the time in the Townsville area. At around 200 hrs when the sails still looked new and were unfaded, I cleaned the top surfaces with a brush and quality cleaner, and applied three coat of Feast-watson clear polyurethane with UV block.

The first coat pretty much soaked right in, and the following coats went on nice. As it dried it also taughtened up the fabric up a bit also, which I reckon gave good performance after that. I also at the same time applied a white marine polyurethane to the tail surfaces, which also tightened them up just a bit and certainly made everything much easier to clean after that.

The aircraft has always been hangared and the wing covers are still in service. I did not do anything to the bottom surfaces. I do believe the clear UV did a good job over the years.

Thanks Maj,

That is fantastic. I will go with that, sounds great. Would you have any Idea were I can get it from in townsville and what quantity I would need to do a drifter.Thanks Monty

Guest Maj Millard

I seem to recall I bough mine from a boat shop. But I have seen it in hardware stores also, as just out of interest I still look to see if it is available. Anyone that sells Feast Watson.They have plain clear and 'high UV clear'. That's the one. I do recall it wasn't dirt cheap either. I bought two 1ltr tins and I think that did the Drifter with three coats brushed on. It comes out of the can pretty thin so goes on nice. My old Drifter is still in Townsville if you are in the area....I did mention my experience with this to RAA once in an attempt to turn people on to it, but they didn't want to know ............I wouldn't use this on old faded skins, it needs to be applied on relativly new skins....and Oh is Billy Cluff still aviating out that way ?

.................:rilla:

Thanks again Maj.

The cost doesn't realy matter it's still cheaper than the skins. I realy appreciate the info. I will definatly go with feast watson high uv clear. I will track it down somewhere.

Thanks Heaps

Monty

I know rod cluff he has moved to roma district. I think there is a Bill Cluff in Boulia but not sure. and the skins were only fitted in Febuary so still like new.

Guest ozzie

I've used the feast watson uv product on the exterior timber on my sailing cat in the whitsundays. Brilliant. still looked great after 5 years which is excellent for a boat.

ozzie

Thanks Ozzie,

I spoke to a sales rep for feast watson today. He said to use the exterior weatherproof clear it has a uv block but no garentees as it is for timber not cloth. So that is what I am going to use. He also said that it may crack if there is a lot of movement as it is a polyurethane and sets hard. I will post the results in the near future for everty one. Maybe put some photos in if I can work out how.

Thanks Again

Monty

Guest Maj Millard

Hey Monty, you can get a flexizer agent to put in. I have a can around somewhere that I use with the poly U 400 white that goes on the Storch fabric. It must work as I haven't seen too much cracked fabric on Storches. From memory you add around 10-15% to paint. I think it is clear also so shouldn't be a problem. I didn't use it on my Drifter as I didn't know about it then. I think it should be available at any industrial paint shop. :cool_shades: