Which Transceiver ?

As a low hour pilot I am looking for a Transceiver which I can use to run in the background whilst I am working in the shed just to get familiar with radio calls etc. Of course I want the unit to be mobile as a back up as well hence the neeed for the handheld.

I imagine the volume on these units is rather low and anticipate having to route the signal through an amp if I want to listen through any speaker system. As such the unit would need to have an output jack.

Any recommendations?

Peter

Guest brentc

Easy!

Vertex VXA200 or similar. Best value for money of all of them. Perhaps Ian can get you one into the ClearProp shop. This one in particular has a high volume output.

Both have audio out, I have a VXA300 and its very loud, even has a feature for PA setup using ext mic. You wont need an external speaker Id think.

VXA 200 is very similar just doesnt have Nav features, and a bit harder to control squelch if I remember correctly - more keystrokes needed. Its a bit smaller too

VXA 710?? I think recieves other bands ie UHF also, someone said it was a bit complicated to use and its a fair bit dearer

Look at them Vertex Standard Australia

Ian has Vertex at the best price I found and has been good with support

JR

Guest brentc

I have the VXA710, but I don't recommend it. It has extra features that you can't use in OZ for weather etc. The speaker output isn't as good as the 220 and the buttons are hard to press. It was probably me that JR is referring to. The only thing I like that I occasionally use it that it can receive FM radio.

My father-in-law has the 220 that I got for him, great unit, we have purchased 10 total of these 220 units for people at the airport with no complaints whatsoever. I also have the equivalent VHF marine radio to the 220, great unit too, highly recommended for size and performance.

They don't have an audio-out as such, but they come with a plug-in headset adapter for GA, so you'd have to hack that up or find the appropriate male plug to use.

Guest ozzie

Hey Brent

What is the internal bat life? mainly when it is used mostly for just recieving very rare i would have to transmit. recharge time? thanks for your views on these.

tax refund soon'

ozzie

Guest brentc

From memory the 220 lasts atleast all day out in the shed and similar for the 710. The 220 has a socket for charging the battery, or if it is charged it also has a socket that just powers the radio so that the battery isn't continually charging. From memory it could be an overnight job for both of them. The 710 has a single socket but it's smart enough to know that the battery is charged so it shuts down the charge circuit.