SLING Flying around the world

The guys have just done the 4000 km leg from Guinea to Brasil - straight across the Atlantic Ocean.

Wow. 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Before leaving Conakry (and after they finally got released by the cops for taking a photo) they had to fill for the 2nd time running with dirty looking mogas because there was no avgas. They must be charmed.

What a journey.

I see the boys have arrived at Oshkosh - parked near the A380 I believe. Despite Mike Blyth's long distance flying pedigree, I was a bit sceptical about their heading off in such a new design. I'll happily withdraw any negative comment after this achievement though.

Dirty Mogas

When Mike flew his trike from cape to cape many years ago, he said he'd discover that Rotax will run on allmost anything - he would not have risked the feul situation, had he not have had solid experience from previous adventures - I have huge respect for the 912 machines myself - real glad they've made it to Oskosh - the Hawaii leg is a worry !

• 2 weeks later...

I see from the website that the boys have arrived safely on Maui, 21.4 hours from LA! :thumb_up:

Pity they are bypassing Aus, would have liked to have seen the Sling if they had come via Brisbane.

I looked over the Sling D6 at Oshkosh 09. This looks like a very well designed and put together aircraft. Features such as two piece canopy, closed bulkhead behind the cockpit and balanced controls look good. The next leg to Honolulu could be a challedge, they are right on minimum fuel and the winds on this run are rather fickle. It's weight and speed range would be just about right for a 6 cylinder Jab with a fixed prop and you could probablly get it in the air for around $45,000.