Birdsville races

I am planning a trip from Latrobe Valley to Birdsville for the races in September, in my Skyranger and would appreciate any comments or feedback as to the best route. The proposed route is Latrobe Valley- Bendigo (fuel)- Mildura (Fuel)- Renmark- Port Augusta (fuel)- Woomera-William Creek (fuel) -Birdsville (fuel). Returning Birdsville- Moomba- Tibboburra (fuel)-Broken Hill- Mildura(fuel)- Bendigo (fuel)- Latrobe Valley. Any other suggestions ?

I will need to spend some time on the phone to make sure fuel is available at William Creek and Tiboburra.

Any information or feedback would be appreciated. By the way is anyone else going up this year. I have been before and it is a great trip.

Greg

Guest studentbiggles

:wave:Hi Greg, Just noticed your post on your proposed trip to the Birdsville Races. I live and are learning to fly out of Renmark (Renmark Gliding Club)....I've got my next lesson (2nd) on Monday 27th, I hope to learn and be shown how to refuel my "Jabbi"....I'll get all info for you from my CFI and would be pleased to pass it on...Hopefully next year I'll be flying into the Races to!!!!....:spruce_up:..I'ts a fanastic event up there....:thumb_up:...Fly Safe Cheers Alley (Studentbiggles)

Guest Mad Dave

G'day Greg,

I am planning to fly up on the Thursday, probably - Echuca, Mildura, Broken Hill (stay o/night in BH) and then probably Tiboburra, Birdsville on the Friday. Not too sure about the way home yet.

Dave

We flew up last year and stopped at White Cliffs. We stayed at the Underground Motel. Very comfortable, good food, reasonable price and they pick you up and drop you off at the strip.

Guest basscheffers

Sure you are welcome at Moomba? AOPA guide says emergency use only unless your are flying for Santos. Innamincka sounds like a friendlier place nearby to take a break. (and has fuel, as far as I know)

Hope to do it next year, likely via Rawnsley Park and Innamincka. Back via William Creek.

Hi Greg,

As you've already said it would pay to check on fuel. You will not be welcome at Moomba except in an emergency. Not sure if you're planning on using mogas or avgas, but I'm pretty sure Maree, Innaminka and Tibooburra only sell avgas by the drum (great if you can use 200 litres). I believe Arkaroola in the Flinders Ranges sell avgas from the bowser. Not to many places sell mogas (premium unleaded), but if you can run on ordinary unleaded, then Cameron Corner and Mungerannie Roadhouse would be good options. At Mungerannie, you will have to land on his driveway as the perfectly good airstrip is closed because of local politics. A tour operator had a heap of avgas delivered there sometime ago, intending to do a heap of flights over Lake Eyre, and business was very slow, so they may still have some avgas available. All of the smaller places do not keep stocks of avgas and it has to be ordered at least 2 weeks in advance. It may pay to pre-order your fuel in Birdsville as well, due to the number of aircraft there for that weekend. Have a great trip Ferris.

Hi Dave.

Might catch up with you up at Birdsville, what will you be flying? If you go into White Cliffs just watch the strip, I came very close to mincing three large kangaroos in a 182 up there a few years ago. They decided to cross the strip just after I had touched down ,the last one had a very close shave with the prop. Not good for the heart.

Guest Mad Dave

Hi Greg,

Will probably be going in an Archer. I will firm up the plans in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Greg,

Have a look at Wentworth instead of Mildura. +15 Mins. for fuel ,Raa friendly, no landing fees Mogas, Avgas and a great bunch to be "stuck" with A bit like LTVA ,Mildura will cost a 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif load in landing fees and charges, Forget about Woomera , they want 48hrs notice and if they are not "doing stuff" it,will still cost you $30, and unless you drive a Kero Burner, no fuel .Call it a $30 slash on the saltbush (OJ bottle is a good alternative) William Ck you can get Av&Mogas no probs Maree Mogas is OK, Avgas can runshort as the Comercial operators arn't going to sell it if they are short.

Tibobbura needs to be ordered in by the drum, (205lt)

needs about 3 weeks... do it now!

Birdsville should be OK as they normally run 22,000lt of AV+turbine each in. if you get stuck shandy off with the Shell Roadhouse (you will be paying at least 2.50/ltr+)Good way home .(time permitting)Longreach,abt 3hrs QANTAS & Stockmans Museum,o/nite down thru cental NSW to Parks and a Telescope tour (40 years on) Wagga, Yarrawonga and do your own thing home.FWIW

rgds

Leigh

Hi Leigh.

Thanks for the info. We were going into Mildura but it appears it would make more sense to fly into Wentworth. Hadn't planned to land at Woomera but it is a handy waypoint. Nice to have there in an emergency. I had not considered going home that way but just may change the plan as my mate comes from the Parks area and I'm sure he would love to see it from the air. Just writing this the thought occured to me that we realy are fortunate to be able to just change the plan to suit ourselves. What freedom flying brings.

Regards

Greg

you need to organise a fuel card at wentworth. There are plenty of people generally on the strip who have one, but stranger things can happen. Talk to vin martin at bairnsdale. He has flown that route alot and planned it. Watch the traffic!!

Arkaroola is generally where we stop. It is a great fly and avgas available. There are no landing fees in mildura except for commercial.

Guest The Bushman

Birdsville fuel

Come on fellows get your fact straight

no landing fees at Mildure Fuel is cheaper at Mildura

Bulk fuel at Tib but ring ahead as can run out

Guest travis

another option

hi greg , just thought id give you the option that i live 80 mile east off tibooburra at yamba station ,and have plenty off room if you were looking for some were to bunk for a night if was helpful with your flight , i also usually have plenty off fuel to if needed premium only . if needed you can contact me on 0428916894 ,0r 0268747887 . ok good luck with it all

Hi Travis.

Thanks for a great offer, however the route at present is out to William creek and Birdsville. Returning via Longreach (at Leigh's sugestion) and down through central NSW.

I will keep thoes contact numbers if I may as you just never know what may change.

Yamba station sounds like a good destination to fly to just because we can.

Thanks again Travis.

Regards

Greg