Primer

Guest Redair

Guest Redair

Greetings each, OK, I guess this a bit of a long shot, but I figured I would ask anyway..... is there a Savannah owner/builder out there who has not used their tin of black primer, (as supplied in the kit) and if so, would they be willing to part with it?

My tin just isn't going to go far enough, as I still have a complete wing and cabin top-end to finish.

I of course would be prepared to exchange some hard-earned, for the said tin, and for the postage.

Regards, Redair.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Redair
I've also got some spare if Michael's isn't enough.

Thanks Ron, but what Mick has sent me should be more than enough.

Redair.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, just noticed this thread. I have just started assembling XL & my initial experience with ICP supplied primer is, to put it simply, not good. As per the instructions, I am only priming metal to metal surfaces with a paint brush. The result is streaky & in some cases lumpy adhesion. Also the lower edges of components are collecting excess primer which I feel I should remove mechanically along with clearing all holes of primer. Cleco's may eventually jam if dried primer is lodged in them over time.

Can anyone tell me if I am being over critical or do I have genuine reason for concern.

Gordon.

Hi Gordon,

I agree with your concerns. I found the best way was to dab the stuff on. You get a mottled effect but, I think, adequate coverage.

Reg Brost suggested a foam applicator with its own paint storage container (Bunnings), but I found that, in the middle of the SA summer, the foam dried out too quickly and set hard.

Whatever method you use, avoid excess paint as it is difficult to remove when set.

It may be a pest to assemble, note where the joins are, dismantle and do the painting, but, over the life of the project, it will save you time.

Hope this helps,

Ron

I use a similar technique as used with gloss paint, (household paint that is) just do one long smooth run, (without having too much on the brush) and as the line starts to break up, go back and just use short strokes to smooth the strip into a nice smooth line. Takes a bit of practise, but it will give good results once you get the knack. Also, are you cleaning off any grease with thinners or K&N wax remover before applying the primer? It all helps.

Redair.