INGHAM NQ Fly-in HUGE success !!

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Just relaxing on Sunday arvo after spending most of the week-end an hour up the coast, attending the 50th aniversery fly-in at the Ingham Aero Club.

I have attended and help organize a few events in the past, but this one ended up being about as good as it gets !!.

Not only did we get a superb turn up of many types of aircraft,(see list below) many people drove in, and there was a huge attendance of former club members, including Bob Tait who flew up from SE Qld in his nicely presented classic Piper Pacer. Bob Harris the CFI from Innisfail was there together with Carlo Prete RAA CFI, and his fine band who entertained the lubricated, and well fed hordes well into the early hours. Our local rep Chris Ungermann represented the RAA, by his attendance.

Aircraft that flew in:........Two Gazells and two Jabs from Starke Field, Townsville.

One Lightwing, one Thruster, and two Trikes from

Montpelier airpark Townsville.

RV-7, RV-6, Rocket F1, Cessna 182 and 185, Glastars

(2) and Europa from the Tully area.

Piper Pacer, Bob Tait from SE Qld.

The Townsville aero club were represented by a Cessna 182 and two Jabs. PLUS others who came and went throughout the day.

The organized competitions were hotly contested by seven aircraft and the R 44, and fine throphys suitably awarded to the winners, by Bob Tait.

Local aircraft from Ingham that participated were Cessna 172, Rutan Longezy, Bellanca Eagle ag biplane, Pawnee, Robinson 44, and Drifter.

The 150+ pilots, friends, and past Aero club members represented the who's who of the aviation scene up here in the North, with many Ingham locals who also joined us.

On Saturday afternoon I had the opportunity to fly the local newspaper Journo and photographer on an aerial photo-shoot, so we can look foward to some additional positive coverage in the local rag.

As we enjoyed the Sunday morning breakfast at the aero club, impromptue performances in the Bellanca Ag Biplane by Don Blanch and Bob Tait, and Don Blanch in his Longezy entertained us, together with the spectacular departures of the RVs and F1 Rocket, and the remaining aircraft.

Personal highs for me were the chat on the radio with our own WATTO (inbound to Montpelier Sat morning), flying my older brother up and back in the Lightwing for the first time. Competing, and winning in one of the competitions, with my daughter as co-pilot !!.

The thing about Ingham of course is that the airport is right there next to town, so any increase in aerial activity brings out the locals pronto !

There is every chance this great venue will be the site of more regular organized fly-ins in the future, after the success of this one............................................

Guest Maj Millard

Yes you are right, I think everybody up here is just blown away with just how well it went, and we really didn't put that much effort into it.

THANKS IAN....for listing our event on the forum......it works !!!

For once, I am forced to agree with the Major. The Ingham fly-in was terrific, but then over the years they have always been good; and I am going back one score and eighteen.

Well done to the organisers and congratulations to the Ingham Aero Club on their fiftieth birthday.

John

(I'v had to edit this twice.. must be something to do with the residue of the amber fluid so copiously supplied by the crew in YIGM).

Guest watto

Good onya Maj, it is easy to forget that behind every great event there is a lot of people who work very hard before and after the event and that is indicitive of most of the people involved in this sport or recreation activity.