Wooden Propeller Maintenance/Repair

BigPete

My prop on the Jabiru is starting to show a little wear (442 hours in use). i_dunno

One side just looks a little worn (varnish? wise) (see pic 1) so I guess its a light sand and recoat, :thumb_up:

but the otherside (see pic 2) looks as if the finish is bubbling, creating a cavity underneath the varnish. :confused:

Must be plenty of knowledge out there - I await with keen interest. 091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

JabProp1.JPG.e1865f90aafcd3ece6196c56636fbbb2.JPG

JabProp2.jpg.1bf274c0f12f7fd9f0e57d74d71a77ca.jpg

Guest Decca

Hi Pete. Check this site; thompsonaeronautical.com for very helpful prop self maintenance as noted in a recent thread here "Prop Balancer".

Regards, Decca.

Guest Decca

Thanks for that Slarti. That's an essential publication for everyone. And for anyone who is not L1/L2, refer to 7.3.2 for guidelines as to what can be done for purely periodic cosmetic and efficiency reasons, so long as there's no danger of upsetting prop balance.

Regards, Decca.

Peter, hard to tell from the photo, but the fibreglass sheathing on the prop seems to be starting to de-laminate. I'd get it looked at asap by someone who knows wooden props. If it is de-laminating or coming away from the timber, it can get worse very quickly in the air, and I guarantee it will get your attention.

Cheers,

Bruce

Guest The Bushman

Prop repair

Drill smal holes in surface coat and squirt in Super glue to stop spread of problem

and then seal surface of prop as mark is moisture getting under surface as glass is not water proof

The Bushman