Bankstown to Coffs and back

Guest weekendwarrior

Guest weekendwarrior

Hi,

I have been soaring above Camden and buzzing around Sydney (Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Victor One) for a while now. Next week I intend to go for my first real cross-country trip since obtaining my PPL, the welcome excuse being a wedding in Coffs Harbour 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif. I am a little excited, but also a little apprehensive, so I am doing my homework to make it as enjoyable and uneventful as possible for both passengers and pilot.

So far so good, got my CTA endorsement, bought the relevant VTC and VNC, booked a nice Piper Archer for a few days, and am hoping the weather will remain this glorious VFR we have been enjoying for the past few weeks (or I'll have to drive thumb_down ).

At this point I intend to try and get a clearance to cross Williamstown airspace tracking direct to Taree then PMQ, else fly the coastal VFR lane (I am not too fond of flying the inland lane even though it doesn't need a clearance). I guess I'll see on the day, depending on headwind/tailwind and whether I can get a clearance from Willy or not.

Couple of questions for those of you who are used to fly around Coffs:

Coming from the South, where are you supposed to call Coffs Tower to get a clearance to enter their Class D airspace? Looking for reporting points on the VTC, I see Macksville and Nambucca Heads below the CTA step, is this where I should call from ?

Once in Coffs, what address do you guys recommend for AVGAS and parking (3 nights) ?

And by any chance, any of you guys going to Deano and Kaz wedding on Saturday the 12th (it's a small world, you never know)?

Thanks in advance !

WW,

I fly into Class D a lot. Call 2 or 3 Nm before the reporting point inbound. use the point applicable to your alt.

From memory, Half way between picket Hill and Urunga at 1500, I called "....approaching Urunga at 1500, tracking coastal ......"

Too easy:thumb_up::thumb_up: PM me if you like.

Guest weekendwarrior

Thanks guys,

It's good advice. After all the phone numbers are in the ERSA for a reason!

I guess I'll call Williamstown as well beforehand to check whether there is a chance to cross their airspace (they may tell me to check the NOTAMS but nothing to lose hey)