Callington SA, what's the deal?

Guest basscheffers

Guest basscheffers

Flying from YMBD to YADG this morning, I noticed a very nice looking strip at Callington. Got a whole bunch of hangars there too, so looks like it should be active. But...

Not on the VTC, no mention in ERSA or AOPA. Google acknowledges there is a strip (with an accident in 2005!) but nothing else.

Anyone know who this belongs to?

Here it is on Google Maps.

Guest Pop-top

An instructor pointed it out to me once, in case of emergency, but didn't say anything else.

...my guess is it's the equivalent of or similar to "Kings...something strip" (the name escapes me right now.) But it's a small airfield SSE approx of Aldinga and it has around 5 runways. Not on the VTC. Possibly in ERSA, haven't checked.

I guess the big question is; Callington - closed or private?

Hi Guys, Callington is private but you can touch and go there, or land if you wish, not that there's much to see. I flew over it this morning but with the high winds over the hills, I decided not to play about. I took a couple of photos but can't get my photo editor to work today......?? Although it's a quiet field, give a call on Unicom frequency to be safe. Same goes for Strathalbyn, Wellington or, closer to home, Noarlunga (Can't think of it's new name, might be Hunts Field, as in Huntfield Heights, the local district name).

Gee it was lumpy today, but good for practice, especially landing on grass with a Xwind. I was supposed to take a pax but he didn't turn up. Just as well really cause the ol' bag would have been out and in use, if you get my drift. Talking of which, I've never flown so far....sideways. Good fun but.