Ice eliminator

Vorticity

Guest Des Funslow

Sounds good, i wonder what Jab here in Aus think about it. It would seem that they could be fitting these onto Bings that are used on the Jab engine.:thumb_up:

Electric carb heat.

The HKS engine has this fitted and seems to work fine. You can leave it on all the time if you wish. You don't heat up all the air going in to the engine so you don't lose the power. IF the carb body, and butterfly is warm enough there will not be any ice accumulation. (At least in that area). Even with fuel injection you can get impact ice on the air cleaner or ducting, but you should not be in that environment, should you? Nev

• 1 month later...
I was cruising around the net the other night and found this:Carb & Induction

It seems to be an alternative for anti-ice of bing carbs.

Has anyone tried it? What do you reckon?

Hi Y'All,

I built a similar unit for my Rotec R2800. I used a Hi Power transisitor switched by a thermistor that turns Off about 20 deg C. The heat source is the heatsink for the transistor; total cost about $40. I was not happy with a resistor heating all the time with no temperature control.

I tested it by cold soaking the Bing in a freezer to about -5C, then turning on the anti-ice, with the unit still in the freezer. The butterfly came up to +2c within a minute and then climbed about 5 C every minute until it hit the thermistor value of 20C where it cycled On and OFF between 18 and 20 C.

The unit is about 50mm in Dia and 20mm thick, it draws about 2 amp continuous (30 watts), 5 amp max(70watts) on turn on. I connected it through a switched CB rated at 10 amp.

BR davemac

Shown without the cover, the base plate was sized to take the lid of a spray paint can. the unit screws onto the butterfly boss for heat transfer to the carb body around the butterfly. The transistor dumps its heat into the base plate which acts as a heat accumulator. Since the unit cycles at around 20C, it is a 'switch on and forget' jobbie. I have a small LED that comes on with the cycling power as a confidence light. I have flown it for 6 hours now but since I have not been in icing conditions to my knowledge, I cannot really say if it disperses ice. Similar units with the resistor referred to to in the original post, are in use in Canada and Europe, so I figure the concept of a warm butterfly is sound.

1970947557_Bingcarbheater1.thumb.jpg.3df4b11ffb042d072d8b052536c0b2b1.jpg

379197775_Bingcarbheat2.thumb.jpg.853d416b5f4e02da752b10e97d6d97f7.jpg

1391235860_Bingcarbheat3.thumb.jpg.86e1fa1d0f8b4d0f6ea2742819e98497.jpg