Rotax 912 - Flydat problem

Sean

Hi.

Problem: fluctuating oil pressure readings.

The actual engine oil pressure is fine, used a another type of gauge to verify.

The wiring loom seems fine too.

So suspect oil pressure sender or Flydat panel.

Does anyone know of a better priced oil pressure sender to suit Flydat?

The best I have seen is $600 AUD.

Does anyone know of a used Flydat panel for sale?

Cheers.

Sean.

very unlikely to be the flydat Sean but you should be able to easily prove this by putting a variable resistor in place of the sensor. The Rotax manual has a graph of what value is produced for different oil pressures.

I've had a pressure sender fail with same fault (occasionally fluctuating and the "spikes" were enough to trigger the Skydat alarm). IIRC I got my replacement from Richard Eacott but I don't remember paying that much for it ! Be aware that the newer engines use a different (apparently better) type of sender but its not compatible with the older sensor / instrument setup.

Hope that helps

John

Guest Maj Millard

Yes I have seen the oil pressure senders fail also. However 9 times out of 10, and I hear it all the time, it is simply the blade connector vibrating or moving, where it is connected to the sender. I always put a dob of silicon on the connector, and never have anything but a steady needle.......................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Yes I have seen the oil pressure senders fail also. However 9 times out of 10, and I hear it all the time, it is simply the blade connector vibrating or moving, where it is connected to the sender. I always put a dob of silicon on the conector, and never have anything but a steady needle.......................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Unfortunately this wasn't so in my case but definately worth checking before you stump up for a replacement !

Cheers

John

• 3 weeks later...

New sensor unit fixed it.

Now if someone in this forum can give me the winning numbers for next Saturday's lotto draw, everything in the world would be sweet.....!!!!

Cheers.

Sean.

New sensor unit fixed it.Now if someone in this forum can give me the winning numbers for next Saturday's lotto draw, everything in the world would be sweet.....!!!!

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean I have had the same problem, who is the manufafacturer of your new sensor and the part no.?

Also, what was the cost?

I just love it when things go wrong it gives me something to whinge about and unload a bit more money on.

BY THE WAY THE WINNING NUMBERS FOR NEXT SATURDAY'S LOTTO ARE:-

3, 4, 13, 26, 39 & 40

Regards :baldy:

:kboom:

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe it's not sender!

Shaun,

Like many others I also suffer from badly fluctuating oil pressure. However I believe it is most likely not the sender that is malfunctioning but the oil pressure regulator itself. The sender is approx $340 whereas the replacement part for the pressure regulator costs only a fraction of that. I have a new part "in the mail" and will post the result after I have fitted it.

Before you go off and order the new part however check all your ground wiring connections are nice and tight, especially the bus behind the pax side instrument panel.

ROTAX have come out with a replacement for the "ball" in the oil pressure regulator - the replacement part number is 857-230. This is a "conical" shaped replacement for the ball and I quote you two very recent comments direct from the ROTAX factory in respect of this new part...

"ROTAX is now switching from a ball valve PN-432-680 to a cone shaped valve PN-857-230. According to the charts sent over with this info, the new valve will result in a higher average oil pressure across the entire range of RPMs. This product has been under development for the past two years and IS NOT A MANDATORY RETROFIT nor is it covered under warranty."

"This valve: PN-857-230, really offers a solution for engines with deviating (fluctuating) oil pressure indication only– this part should improve the reading.

Reason:

ROTAX has no influence over what reading devices the customers do mount, they can’t test all available Oil Pressure Gauges or EMS in the world.

Therefore they have come up with this update as a replacement for all installations not using the tested ROTAX Flydat."

Wal (at Bert Floods) happened to have one of the new parts with him after a visit to the Rotax factory and I have been lucky enough to have him send it to me. Hasn't arrived as yet however.

BY THE WAY THE WINNING NUMBERS FOR NEXT SATURDAY'S LOTTO ARE:-

3, 4, 13, 26, 39 & 40

Regards :baldy:

:kboom:

Come on Rick, we only good and accurate info on this site these numbers didn't work

or was it because I looking at the wrong week or lotto? 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Hi Wags.

Thanks for the info.

We got a new sender for under $200 and the oil pressure readings are now fine.

Hi Rick.

Did you get my PM about the replacement sender?

And those lotto numbers were no good at all..!!!!

Cheers.

Sean.

Shaun,Like many others I also suffer from badly fluctuating oil pressure. However I believe it is most likely not the sender that is malfunctioning but the oil pressure regulator itself. The sender is approx $340 whereas the replacement part for the pressure regulator costs only a fraction of that. I have a new part "in the mail" and will post the result after I have fitted it.

Before you go off and order the new part however check all your ground wiring connections are nice and tight, especially the bus behind the pax side instrument panel.

ROTAX have come out with a replacement for the "ball" in the oil pressure regulator - the replacement part number is 857-230. This is a "conical" shaped replacement for the ball and I quote you two very recent comments direct from the ROTAX factory in respect of this new part...

"ROTAX is now switching from a ball valve PN-432-680 to a cone shaped valve PN-857-230. According to the charts sent over with this info, the new valve will result in a higher average oil pressure across the entire range of RPMs. This product has been under development for the past two years and IS NOT A MANDATORY RETROFIT nor is it covered under warranty."

"This valve: PN-857-230, really offers a solution for engines with deviating (fluctuating) oil pressure indication only– this part should improve the reading.

Reason:

ROTAX has no influence over what reading devices the customers do mount, they can’t test all available Oil Pressure Gauges or EMS in the world.

Therefore they have come up with this update as a replacement for all installations not using the tested ROTAX Flydat."

Wal (at Bert Floods) happened to have one of the new parts with him after a visit to the Rotax factory and I have been lucky enough to have him send it to me. Hasn't arrived as yet however.

Roatx 912 steady at last!

As promised the new Rotax Oil Pressure Regulator part (857-230) was fitted today. Subsequent engine run was a joy to behold... rock steady indications at all power settings. Certainly has fixed the problem of fluctuating oil pressure for me.

Figures I noted during static run-up are (all are with engine oil temp above 50ºC)...

2000 RPM 38 psi (2.6 bar).

3500 RPM 44 psi (3 bar).

4500 RPM 47 psi (3.2 bar).

5200 RPM 54 psi (3.7 bar).

With both increasing and decreasing power settings the oil pressure changes were smooth and what can best be described as precise. Fitting took all of 5 mins including re-doing the tie-wiring.

Understand Floods will not have spares for about 3 to 4 weeks. All I can say is go for it!