Tell me about your first solo....

Simonflyer

Hi All..

I must say that every time I read about someone going solo for the first time, a smile appears on my face, so I thought Id devote an entire thread to it..

I want to hear about your very first solo - how you felt - what happened and how many hours you were at when you did it..Did anything unusual happen..Did you feel ready? Did you cry? Did you giggle like a schoolgirl(I did) any near misses or hairy moments? Im sure you get the picture..

Go for it..

We had done a number of circuits and I thought some of my landings were rather ordinary. He said "make the next one a full stop", I thought time must be up already so didn't think much of it. When I got off the runway he said something like "ok, you can go up by yourself" and I said "you have got to be bl**dy joking!" and "are you sure!" :-) I was expecting to do it around the 9 hour mark and thought before the lesson I was ready but when it came upon me I was still shocked :-)

It just so happened that on this very day I just happened to bring my partner and youngest daughter so I managed to have an audience and captured on (rather shaky, camera was heavy :-)) film!

After the instructor got out I waited a bit so I wouldn't give him a blast of the fan. I probably should have waited a little longer given how he covered his eyes (he reckoned it wasn't a problem). (almost word-for-word, I remember this very well :-)) Once lined up I paused and thought "this is it, once I go I am commtted!" then thought "I have done the work, I know what to do, lets go!"

Take off was uneventful as was the climb, I was about 100 feet too high on downwind so brought it down to 1,100, I know I wasn't nervous, I was just flying the plane. Base was fine, got a little nervous then when on final, my one last thought here was "this is looking good" and was no longer nervous at all. The landing was smooth though a bit flat (I tend to be, definately mains first but nosewheel only a couple of inches off).

During the shutdown checks I couldn't remember the RPM for the dead-mag check and ended up having that being higher than normal but other than that I was pretty happy with how it went. :-)

Man that was about 42 hours logbook time ago!

I guess that I could tell you the sequence of events of my first solo but that's not a fair description of what happened. What happened cannot be put into words and there is absolutely nothing on earth to compare with a first solo. For those who have done it, I don't need to explain, for those who are yet to do it I can't explain. I envy you what you will experience, you do this once and once only.

I did three circuits on my first solo. I am pleased that I was sent for three, I think one might have been over too quickly.

I still get the buzz when I take off in charge of my own aeroplane, There something about the sense of accomplishment and freedom that has me hooked.

Cheers, Qwerty

Mine was in a glider, Blanik GBJ. If you haven't seen a Blanik before, they are rather elderly metal beasts. GBJ was first registered in Australia in 1975 and showed its age. Still, it was well looked after and the multiple cosmetic cracks added to the character.

I'd known my solo was coming up but had to wait for the weather to improve.

After doing a few flights with an instructor I was told something to the effect of "get in, do a quick circuit, don't try to catch any thermals, and don't crash the bloody thing)"

I remember doing checks, strapping in, and having Dad signal to the pilot of the tow plane "all clear". It was only after the Piper Pawnee lifted the Blanik into the air that I thought to myself "well, I have to get it down now - and I only have 1 shot to get it right".

It was a short tow, to 1500 feet I think, and it seemed to finish very quickly. After releasing I began noticing every rattle and creaking noise that was otherwise masked by various instructors giving advice. Given my height I only really had time to rejoin the circuit for landing. I joined downwind and immediately felt the push of a thermal. It hurt to ignore it and continue with the landing. By the time I was about 2/3rds the way downwind I'd been pushed up to 1100 feet. I applied airbrakes a bit earlier then usual and got my height back under control.

I turned tight base, then final - with my workload I didn't have time to get out a radio call. I was so busy staring at the end of the runway for my flare that I didn't even think about how there was no instructor to help me if I screwed up. As the ground approached I pulled back, back, air brakes fully out, pull back, back, oops a bit to high, back, *wump*. And although I was on the ground (with a decent landing) I was still traveling at 50Ks+ in a plane with only a single belly wheel. I kept the glider going straight down the runway with rudder, and kept the wings level with aileron. Finally I slowed enough that the ailerons lost authority, the great wings gradually tilted over and a wingtip met the ground with a clunk. It was over.

I was lucky enough to have Dad take some pictures: 404 File Not Found - Vineyard Technologies, Inc. <-- This link does work, I promise - the forum software has a bug.

My first power solo was a little anti-climatic in comparison. My second power solo probably had my poor instructor worried, as I did 2 go-arounds in a row. And in my first flight in a single-seater glider, I did a great series of PIOs during landing in front of most of the glider club. Ain't flying wonderful?

Cheers,

Al

Hi Guys, mine was in a ausflight drifter at Boonah Marc Auer was my instructor, in june 23 1990, age twenty ,i still remember most of it . The main thing i remember is , S#$%& this thing climbs well with out a instructor. (it was a 503). The second thing i remember was, that i kept looking back behind me to see if the instructor was realy gone or not, yep the seat was empty. I kept thinking to myself well cool im realy doing it. I will never forget it, Cheers Simon, Good thread

Don't worry Simon... It's a good enough subject to have it again!

Happened about 1615hrs in the day I think.

We went out and did a few circuits and on one of them he 'just said', ''pull up will you". so I pulled up then and there on the runway, next thing I know he was standing beside me (remember I'm in the Drifter here!) and said, "Go and have a bit of a fly around for a few minutes!" He then did up the back seat belts, and unplugged his headset and started walking for the hangers....!

I still had oodles of runway left so I eased the power on and made probably the best take off I'd ever done! and talk about climb! was at 1000' before the end of the runway and went over and had a bit of a fly around outside the circuit area, about 5mins worth I think.

Joined the circuit for downwind, radio call, fuel pump on, easing the power back, and back, and back a bit more... turned base... 55kts approach... aiming point third line in... checked for traffic on finals, checked that I had a decent descent rate happening... turned finals... aiming point looking good... keep the 55kts... Looking good... slowly level out... keeping the descent happening... Hold off... and off... and sticks all the way back... Pheewww I'm on the ground... with a beautiful three pointer... flying isn't done yet... keep it straight with the rudders... back tracking 04... clear of runways... taxi to the hanger with a big smile, and to the welcoming party of Mum and brothers (who were in town and just happened to come out to see me flying, only to find the instructor at the hanger... good timing!)

So ended my day... I can still feel the climb out, it was an exhilarating experience!:thumb_up:

What's this business about having a silly grin after the first solo? I get the silly grin after every solo! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif In fact, after I pulled up and hopped out a couple of weeks ago, a couple of blokes watching on congratulated me - I looked so happy that they assumed it was the first...)