There and Back in a Jabiru.

Nostalgair

Hi All,

Here's a Press Release relating to my flight around Australia next year.

Cheers

Owen

The team at ‘There and Back’ is proud to announce that Jabiru Aircraft of Bundaberg Australia has come on board as a major sponsor, providing an aircraft from the Jabiru range to undertake next year’s around Australia flight.

The aircraft will be a Jabiru J230 and its production will commence in the new year. The subsequent construction of the aircraft will be able to be followed on the website at www.thereandback.com.au

‘There and Back’ is an around Australia flight taking place in May 2010 to commemorate the centenary of powered flight in Australia and raise funds for the Royal Flying Doctor Service. The choice of the Australian built Jabiru J230 will make ‘There and Back’ a truly all-Australian flight.

Guest Cloudsuck

Well done Owen, a great cause. Just wondering why you would make the flight so costal and not include Mt Isa given the historical value of the RFDS and that town/area. Or maybe re trace the first RFDS flight between Cloncurry and Julia Creek on 17 May 1928.

Hi All,

Thanks for the support.

Firstly, the trip will be solo. The intention is to notify the various townships enroute and encourage as many aviators and their aircraft to come out to highlight the presence of aviation in Australia and join in the fun.

As for the route that is displayed on the website, it is very generic at this stage. The last 6 weeks have been occupied selecting an aircraft for the flight. Until that was finalised this week with the kind sponsorship from Jabiru, many details were on hold; the final route was one of them. The wide range of performance and range on offer meant that until the aircraft was decided upon, the route could not be precisely planned. That task is now underway with the help from the folks at Champagne PC flight planning.

Rest assured, we are seeking to include as many aviation significant waypoints as we can realistically achieve over 2 weeks. 'Cloudsuck' your suggestions are very valid and are definitely on the 'radar'. As soon as final route is settled upon, it will be posted on the 'There and Back' website.

Thanks again for your support and I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers

Owen

Good on you Owen, it is good to see a fellow Highlander tackling this trip for a worthy cause!!

I will be keeping an eye on the web site for your progress and as I fly a 230 as well it will be very inspiring to hear how it all goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks All,

I'll certainly keep you all posted of any developments as they come to hand.

It will be very interesting to follow the construction of the J230 when it starts next year and will add yet another aspect of interest to the project. I am looking at having a page on the website dedicated purely to the aeroplane and its construction.

Thanks again to all the well-wishers.

Cheers for now,

Owen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just a post to keep you updated on next year's flight around Australia in the Jabiru J230 to raise funds for the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

The route has been refined and posted on the website and covers a fair slice of this great country. It was always going to be a challenge to cover everything but I think we've selected a fairly balanced way around.

The folks at 'Plane Crazy Down Under' also interviewed me to record a podcast about the trip and a range of aviation topics. If you're interested, it can be found at ‘Plane Crazy Down Under’ Podcast |

Thanks again for your interest and I'll let you know of any developments from time to time.

Cheers

Owen