Flammable Liquids Storage rules

Guest basscheffers

Guest basscheffers

Trying to find out the rules about storing petrol, I am extremely frustrated and annoyed at our fine governators.

Every single state and council in this country refers to "amounts exceeding 'minor storage'" before needing a license, "minor storage" being defined in this document:

AS 1940-2004 The Storage and Handling of Flammable and Combustible Liquids

However, that document is only available FOR SALE! And not just any sale: $180! How the 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif are we supposed to know the rules (the law!) when we can not get reasobable access?

Anyway: there are lots of people on here in many industries and maybe one of you has access and can help me out.

Cheers,

Bas.

Guest basscheffers

Thanks Dave. I was under the impression there was a table in there which had different limits for different locations and scenarios.

Of course here we are talking Class 3 liquids (ULP) in a rather large aircraft hangar.

Guest basscheffers

Thanks Dave. I think I might not need it anymore. A friend managed to find this:

http://www.emergency.qld.gov.au/chem/publications/pdf/dgsm_infopaper11_fcl_licensing.pdf

So looks like 250L per 500 sqm. In my case that should be 2 drums. (plenty!) Now just double check with Parafield if they have no other issues with it. (They didn't for another operator, but he's on diesel for a DA40. Parafield's position was they allowed him the same limits as government rules.)

Looks like I might have the Sporty running on PULP soon then! :D

Signage.

There should be signage displayed to alert firefighters, where hazardous chemicals are stored. The fire authorities should have the Gen. on this.. Hazchem and a numerical code reference. Nev

Guest basscheffers

Yup. Just spoke to Parafield and I need to make an application, which is basically so they can update their safety and enviromental documents. Pretty much a formality unless I am asking to do something stupid, which I am not.

We are going to modify a 6x4' trailer so the bottom is sealed. (in case of leaks/spills) We'll put the regulation warning signs and fire extinguishers on. There will be one or two drums on there with filtered hand pump and earth leads.

Guest Maj Millard

Touch base with the local fire authorities...the ones that come out and do regular inspections anyway. They are usually up to date with the regs, and can also come out and give you basic extingusher and fire fighting training which is always fun !.............................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif