Quicksilver MXL

Tomo

Does anyone know what these little aircraft are like?

Likes of -

* Construction, strength, durability

* Flying characteristics (with the 503 Rotax)

Just curious...;)

Thanks a lot:thumb_up:

Guest Maj Millard

Great little 3 axis aeroplane Tomo, perfect for your farm area...grab it if it is cheap. Almost as much fun to fly as a Drifter. The later models (MX Sport I think) went back to a partial single-surface wing and wern't as good looking IMOP. The only downside as I remember was that the engine was not far behind behind you, and you walked around with the bells of St Trinians ringing in your ears for about an hour, so you do need good hearing protection. They are also very easy to repair if you do bend anything, as everything is out in the open. They are pretty strong in the air and pretty well built.I have all the parts breakdowns in one of the old Calif Power System catologs. My pick would be the earlier full double surface wings, with a late dual plug 503. They are only a single seater though, the two seat version was the MXL2. Not an areoplane that you put your feet down to use as brakes though...remember that !.........................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks Maj, Yes the guys got $2600 on it... I'll have to give him a ring and get some history, and pictures. Apparently it has been under cover all its life, so thats a plus.

And yes I get what you mean about not using your feet as brakes...021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif I did that on one of my (many) go-carts before I had installed brakes, and nearly broke my ankle when in hit a piece of grass and got dragged under the chassis! I was walking around on crutches for a month!!036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Hurts huh ? I did it once in a Lazair, the wheelbarrow type main wheel ran up onto my foot and pinned me there, with the whole weight of the aircraft on my twisted ankle. I couldn't do a thing, and a mate had to come over and roll it back off my ankle.............................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Mxl

Does anyone know what these little aircraft are like? Likes of -

* Construction, strength, durability

* Flying characteristics (with the 503 Rotax)

Just curious...;)

Thanks a lot:thumb_up:

I have had a few friends own them and i have flown them the single seat is a great still air fun machine for local flights only NOT A CROSS COUNTRY PLANE .The two place version is very under powered with a 503 motor two up flights ok with one person. Far as construction the air frame there is a lot of bolts holes that tend to enlarge with engine vibration but pretty strong for the light weight they are were built for to meet USA rules .

This particular one is at Caboolture apparently, stuck behind another plane that is all pulled apart in a hanger there somewhere... so he can't get it out until the aircraft other aircraft is put back together...

Pity it is only one seater though, but you wouldn't get a two seater aircraft for that price anyway would you...

Also the 503 hasn't got many hrs on it either... not much over the 200hr mark he thought.