Cheap GPS Tracking in Google Earth- Realtime

Guest Ruprect

Guest Ruprect

For those on the 'tech savvy' side, I have just found a great little (free) program for GPS Tracking in Real-Time. It runs on any Windows Mobile device. So those with PDA's or smartphones can use it. I accompanied a short flight from YSBK down to YWOL and tested it out. Yes live tracking will only work if you are in range of 3G or GPRS phone towers, but for low and slow around our major centres it should work a treat. I rang my wife at home and told her to open google Earth and she could see our track and position updated every thirty seconds, even she was amazed.

Heres the link to TrackMe

[url="http://www.luisespinosa.com/trackme_eng.html#S2"]Luis Espinosa's website[/url]

What a great find! Thanks for that - it works a treat.

I'll give it a good run this weekend.

That will be even better than a SARWatch - give the KML file location to as many people as you want and they'll be able to see exactly where you are and how you got there.

We can even publish our trips on the forum.

Too cool. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

For those on the 'tech savvy' side, I have just found a great little (free) program for GPS Tracking in Real-Time. It runs on any Windows Mobile device. So those with PDA's or smartphones can use it. I accompanied a short flight from YSBK down to YWOL and tested it out. Yes live tracking will only work if you are in range of 3G or GPRS phone towers, but for low and slow around our major centres it should work a treat. I rang my wife at home and told her to open google Earth and she could see our track and position updated every thirty seconds, even she was amazed.Heres the link to TrackMe

[url="http://www.luisespinosa.com/trackme_eng.html#S2"]Luis Espinosa's website[/url]

Do those pages save anywhere? can we see them somewhere? sounds cool..

I tried my iphone while flying using its gps, it was pretty damn cool watching the "flashing blue dot" wizzing accross the satellite images ...:big_grin:

TTFN Warick

Guest Ruprect

Yeah you can save the .kml file to be used in google earth. Essentially if you want to share your tracking you just have to give your friends/family the url to the server that the developer has kindly provided. The software also allows you to use your own server.

@Slarti, pls tell of your experiences at various locations, altitudes etc- I'd like to know if you do temporarily get out of tower range, does it automatically reconnect once you are back in range.

Sure does. You can configure it to store the updates locally until it can find a connection again. Tried it today on a flight to Taree. Have only checked on my mobile (from whence I type) so I can't give you the url (in case I did something illegal),but it looks fantastic. I'll record the return flight tomorrow and show you - if there"s no VCAs involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Well there were too many VCAs on the Taree trip (just joking), so here's the trip to Temora and back yesterday.

Just click on these to open Google Maps in your browser.

The trip out shows a gap where it lost the satellites for a while until I checked it and moved the phone somewhere else.

The trip back shows one of my "ooh look - something shiny" moments. I saw a hill I used to climb up and run down when I started hang gliding, then saw Lake Burrinjuck, then a wind farm.... you get the idea.

Ignore the references to YTRE - it remembered bits of the Taree trip I think.

To Temora

Home again