Straddie Fly-in tomorrow

Al B

Yes, but where's the fun in that? :)

I hope someone comes to your aid Al, sounds like fun!

I'm gonna have to start making a "Fly-in piggy bank" so I have something to hire a plane to go to some of these things myself!

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi Al,

Would have liked to have gone today. My wife wants me to go to the market though and I have agreed since I do go flying most weekends. I do go to Straddie nearly every month.

If next time you want to join me (December) you're most welcome.

As for today - no to flying and "hello to markets"

safe flying

Walter

Gidday Walter and all. i am flying to Queensland in the Jab early January with the co-pilot who shall be obeyed and would love to find a couple of spots that you guys can recommend or a fly away happening in the Caboolture area. Straddie sounds and looks great. Any ideas and spots would be great. We will be based on Bribie.

Terry

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi flie43,

There are some great spots to go to. As everyone in this area knows Straddie has a fly-in breakfast on every third saturday of the month. It is normally well attended. The strip is good. I've seen Mooney's there and they have no problem.

Another stop is Orchid beach on fraser island. Again it is a great strip and approx. 800 mtrs long. No trouble at all for anything smaller than a 737. The beach is only minutes away and accomodation as well as a shop are at the strip. No call required. Just fly in.

For a great lunch go to Jimbour Winery - Estate. It's only a short hop from the coast. It's north of Dalby , just west of the Bunya mountains. Everyone who's flown there is impressed. It has a bitumen strip approx 1000mtrs. It also has a great caffee/ restaurant that is open 7 days / week.

These destinations can be "googled" for coordinates.

have fun.

Walter

Fantastic Walter, thank you, I will try my best to give at least give Straddie a go and maybe try Orchid Beach as well if I can get away with my Bro in law while the wives are busy elsewhere. It's a pity it will be the second Saturday and not the third.

Blackrod-Well Cessna versus Jab-hmm where do I start > i have been flying C182's for about 15 years, great work horse, can get them into most strips and out - Love em. The Jab- have only been flying since January. I am liking and appreciating it more every flight

If I had the money I would have a 182 and a jab but in my situation I can afford to run a Jabiru and not a C182 or C172 etc. I can do more flying now but only with 1 pax but so be it, I am at least up there and free and hope to do a few more trips next year.

Terry

What a question, comparing a Jab with a Cessna. They are not in the same league, only the C150 is anywhere near a Jab in my opinion, but it is a lot easier to fly, more forgiving and very much tougher. Think of all the training hours the old C150's have done and do you think a Jab will last as long. As for the C172 and C182 being compared to a Jab it is like comparing a bus to an ultra light, city type car.

Horses for courses and the Jab is great value and fun.

BlackRod the strip is a bit rough, with a fair slope to it and some high ground around. It's the sort of place where at times you have to consider whether it is better to take off into wind, uphill with the ground continuing to rise, or downhill with a tailwind.

There's a lot of sand which tends to be blown around everywhere.

Which strip are you referring to Mazda, Orchid Beach?

Interesting thread this, I'll be wanting to spread my wings shortly, so to speak and visit some of the spots mentioned. I like the sound of the vineyard although a dry lunch would rather defeat the object - maybe time for my other half to get her licence too.