E6B help.

flying dog

Following on from my other post, and playing with my Kaine Computer (the "Original metal one" I bought back in '88).

I was reading the examples of doing altitude correction.

Who here is good at that and using the "wiz wheel"?

How they explain some examples I understand, but others are so convoluted in their discription it is beyond me. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Then onto conversions:

Yeah, I know how to use it for basic multiplication etc.

So fuel ammount to weight. Reading around their annoying "our units are the only ones which are needed" mentality, again, reading the examples and what is written on the wheel is confusing.

If I have 100 units of fuel (Gallons) and want to know the weight, from what I can see I have to line up the GAS weight on the ammount of fuel, and read the weight on the number 1 pointer.

MOST confusing.

Then there is a part of pressure height. I must have missed that in the manual (or directions - as they call it) and looking at the calibration, pressure height changes are nearly as significant as temperature - which I have been told is not the case by a CFI I trust implicitly in that area.

Anyway, that's it for now.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
If I have 100 units of fuel (Gallons) and want to know the weight, from what I can see I have to line up the GAS weight on the ammount of fuel, and read the weight on the number 1 pointer.

Then there is a part of pressure height.

On my prayer wheel you need to line up FUEL LBS and US GAL arrows then read the gal of the inner scale against LBS on the outer eg 13.5 US GAL = 80 LBS. In your case 100 GAL = 600LBS.

Do you mean pressure height or density alt?

Scott

(Sorry been away for a weekend.)

Bidgee,

There are two windows for height calculations.

One does temp and the other does "pressure" - or something.

I shall need to look at it more but help would be appreciated.

Pressure height can be calculated two ways. Either dial 1013 into your altimeter and see what alt it reads or use the equation (elevation ft + (1013-QNH)x30)). 1hPa is = 30ft that's why 30 is the multiplier.

Unless you are planning to become a commercial pilot dont sweat over alt and airspeed correction. However you will need to know about density altitude. To work it out on the prayer wheel line up the pressure height with the outside air temp. The arrow in the window will point to the density alt. This shows you at what alt in the std atmosphere has the same density as the place in question.

The best way to get your head around this stuff is to get a copy of Bob Taits BAK and PPL books.

Scott

Surely not 600 lbs?

Hope 100 Gals doesn't weigh 600 lbs Bidgee .... or we are all flying around in excess of our Max All Up Weight. Think it might have been a slip... surely you meant 60 lbs!

Hope 100 Gals doesn't weigh 600 lbs Bidgee .... or we are all flying around in excess of our Max All Up Weight. Think it might have been a slip... surely you meant 60 lbs!

Mate, you got to tell us you get your fuel from !!! - 60lbs for 2(and a bit) X 44 gal drums....man that is good.

Nope - he's right. For US gallons, use 6 pounds per gallon. For Imperial gallons, use 7.2.

So 100 US gallons weighs 600 pounds.

100 of our gallons would be 720 pounds.

Remember 100 US gallons is 378 litres. I don't think any of us carry that much.