Brisbane Flying Group

Guest taildragger

Guest taildragger

Hi all, Just a quick grab for a bit of friendly advertising - The Brisbane Flying Group is a group of 40 odd (thats number of members not age) like minded GA aviators who fly the groups 2 AA5B Grumman Tigers based at YBAF. We fly at a cost price of $110/hour wet @ 125Kts. The Group currently has (7) shares up for sale due to retiring members. A share will cost approx. $1500-$2000 as a one off purchase. This entitles the member to fly at the cost rate, You can't get cheaper flying than that. Check out our website at www.brisflying.org for pics. There rarely seems an issue of booking an aircraft due to availability either. If anyone is interested further please don't hesitate to reply to my thread or contact us on the phone number liested on the website.

Agreed Shags, it does throw a bit of light on the potential costs of going the PPL route. Let's face it $110 an hour wet is less than most of us pay for hire and fly and you can tuck another small passenger or two into the back of a Tiger, something that is looming as an issue now that my son is showing interest in flying.

$110 per hour does sound good and you can't beat the 4 seat thing if you need it. Also, those Grumman's are apparently sweet to fly.

However, while not wanting to take anything away from the BFG, I would argue that RA pilots can in fact fly cheaper than that. When you take into account the joining cost plus the ongoings each year, the rate may work out to be closer to $150 per hour. Now, I'm happy to be corrected (please do if I'm wrong!) and still, $150 per hour is pretty darn good for a 4 seater touring aircraft, if you have a GA PPL. Plus, I believe you can join as a student pilot and use one of the aircraft to train for your PPL, making it potentially cheaper.

No mention of what has to be guaranteed for maintenance, insurance etc. It sounds very good, but check that it is not too good to be true. I can fly for less than that in a plane that can be GA registered, but it is only single seat.

Guest taildragger

All very valid comments. Yes there are some extra levy's to cover maintenance, insurance, hangerage etc These are levied as quarterly payments of $200.00 to cover those fixed costs. Sure, if you join and don't fly often enough it can become expensive flying, however if you're like most of us who can't wait to get our arses up every few weeks then it certainly is a cheap way for GA flying or touring. If you take into consideration the ownership and maintenance costs of an RA aircraft I'm sure the scales of expense will not be such a long way off one another. Oh--- and Foto, yep, they sure are sweet things to fly.

Learnt to fly in Grummans in the 70s and the group mentioned played a part in my early flying. (even did my initial twin rating in the Grumman Cougar) The Brisbane Flying Group has been around for a long time and is bit of an institution in its own right so for anyone considering GA flying a good group to get involved in. :thumb_up: