Left handed Pilots

I was asked by a pilot who is left handed, flying the tecnam (dual stick). How is he going to write on his flight log, when his left hand is on the stick. I couldnt give him a answer since i am right handed. Can anyone give advice please. He is a member of this forum. Thank you :big_grin:

Guest Maj Millard

I was taught to fly left hand on stick, right on throttle. I soloed in another aircraft (single seater) right hand on stick, left on throttle. I didn't even notice the difference until after I landed. I did a landing in a Savannah from the right seat a few weeks ago, and apart from a visual adjustment, no probs. It's all in your head.

Guest Andys@coffs

Jabby's are the same for right handers in the pilots seat. On my J230 for long NAv's etc where I want to play with the wiz wheel and maps etc I have to be very careful taking hand of center stick and use rudder, gently, to compensate for any wing lift using secondary control effect in conjunction with trim.

In the end I added a 2 axis AP that ties into the route on a GPS for long distance stuff

Andy

Im a lefty who has done a fair bit of teccy flying, and sometimes it can be a pain(in any plane) although the worst thing is trying to see my watch..I think when i fly Il chuck it on the right arm from now on, as my last flight showed it up as a problem when i was put under pressure..There were pencils flying and i was tied in a knot!.

Mostly it has been ok though

Well seeing as how we have people 'coming out', I'm a lefty too although I find I can do most things with both hands - careful with the replies now!!!:big_grin:

Although a very inexperienced pilot I've flown a number of different aircraft - Drifter Lightwing, Gazelle and now Thruster with various stick/throttle configurations which have not been a problem at all, it just seems to work out ok. I find it an extension of being a pilot - adapt to the conditions presented and find a way to achieve what is required.

Dazza38, I guess your friend could train to use right hand on the stick for the short time required to write something down. I have to admit it can be difficult sometimes especially when there are 'mallee roots in the paddock' and you are getting thrown around a bit.:jump:

Pud

although I find I can do most things with both hands

I can type with both hands! :thumb_up::big_grin:

True though, I can do a lot of things with either hand also, never attempted landing the other way around, but I have flown from the right hand seat and found no drama there. Oh yeah! just tried to write with my RH and seems to work a bit... I might practice it up a bit now, make a good trick!!

Really annoys people though when you can use a hammer in either hand!

Guest Maj Millard

Fact; the majority of the men who have walked on the moon are either left handed or ambi-dextious............................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif