Hunter Valley NSW Flyer

jeff b

Hi everyone,

I have been looking in for a while now and must say that this is a great web site. Lots of information. Well done! I fly an Airborne 912 Tundra/SST wing microlight and have a 25 yr Hangliding background with a couple of years of gliding thrown in as well.

Keep up the great work :-)

Jeff.

Hi Bill and Thanks!

I flew the Streak III wing for 110 hrs before upgrading to the SST, which I have about 35hrs on so far. It was trimmed hands off at 70 knots to begin when new. This was great when flying longer XC flights, but the trade off is that you have a significant amount of pitch pressure when pitching the nose up during turns.

Then adjusted the hands off trim to 64 knots (now the standard position set by the factory) and the handling is very nice. Similar in roll to the Streak III but a little lighter in pitch. Pulling in a few inches is easy & 80 knots comes up fast. I have found the new adjustable trim device to work great in that when you slow the trim speed, the roll response no longer gets harder (no luff lines). I am really happy with the SST and with no washing line on top, maintenance is much easier. A few more pics here:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/groups/maitland-microlighters.html

Have you seen the little dragonfly soaring trike from Flylight.co.uk? I have about 4hrs in it from a recent trip to Adelaide. Great fun, but that's another story :-)

Jeff.

It was trimmed hands off at 70 knots to begin when new. This was great when flying longer XC flights, but the trade off is that you have a significant amount of pitch pressure when pitching the nose up during turns.Then adjusted the hands off trim to 64 knots (now the standard position set by the factory) and the handling is very nice. Similar in roll to the Streak III but a little lighter in pitch. Pulling in a few inches is easy & 80 knots comes up fast. I have found the new adjustable trim device to work great in that when you slow the trim speed, the roll response no longer gets harder (no luff lines). I am really happy with the SST and with no washing line on top, maintenance is much easier. A few more pics here:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/groups/maitland-microlighters.html

Have you seen the little dragonfly soaring trike from Flylight.co.uk? I have about 4hrs in it from a recent trip to Adelaide. Great fun, but that's another story :-)

Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

Can you explain what you mean by it being adjusted hands free to 64 Knots. I'm assuming that the adjuster device is an electric hang point adjuster, so are you saying the factory has it positioned to pull 64 knts when the hang point is in the full forward position?

I have seen pics and read about the dragonfly, it's great to see a new idea occasionally and it does look like a lot of fun although it would be hard to remember to put the landing gear down I reckon.

I went to have a look at your pics but it says I have to be a member of 'mate land' microlighters and me not being from around there, and Ray being the policeman for that page, he may :pc strikes back: if I joined up 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Regards Bill

The hands off (max speed trim) setting is adjusted by the hang position on the keel tube. There are a few positions to select from. Any further in flight adjustment is only to slow down the hands off trim speed, not increase it. Unlike the PM trikes, Airborne have used a mechanical rather than an electric system for adjusting the trim speed to slower. A bungee system takes the pitch load off the pilot and holds the nose up for you. I hope I have explained that OK?

Jeff.