Knock Knock!

AV8A

Hi all, my name is Ben. I started flying GA about 13 years ago but gave it away after about 12 hours (almost solo)... Apart from a few sparodic dual lessons since, I just couldnt justify the cost and lost interest because I couldn't fly as much as I would of liked.

I am starting to run out of excuses and have started dusting off the BAK with a view to atleast get the hours to finish my GFPT. Then I think I will decide if I want to continue with GA or go LSA. On one hand I would like to stick with GA so I can take the whole family away for short trips (the 3 of us). Then on the other hand I have always wanted to build my own A/C (plans/kit built) and the reduced costs of owning and operating LSA is appealing!:thumb_up:

Who's there!!

Hey G'day AV8A! Welcome!

Great to hear you coming from behind the curtain again... 12hrs seems to be the pull out point in GA for a lot a people for some reason, musn't be enough enthusiasm hapn'en to keep you going.

But never mind about that now, you'll get all the support you could ask for here, with a bit of fun thrown in here an there, join in, have fun, and go flying.................:thumb_up::thumb_up:

LSA's are great fun, great running price, but are sadly only limited to two seats....

Tell you what, get a J230 do your RA training in it, enjoy it, then whack some seats in the back, slap on a VH letter or two and GA here you come.......:big_grin:

Hope you can get in the air ASAP!

Hey G'day AV8A! Welcome!

Thank you for the warm welcome Tomo!

I had about 12 - 14 logbook hours before the whole S11 thing. Dual went from around $169 p/hr (omg so cheap!) for a 180hp Warrior to about $220 with the overnight insurance scare and airport security brought into play and what not. I was only making about $350 a week!031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

The J230 certainly does tick alot of boxes for me personally and is on my short list for sure!

Are there any links available that outline typical running costs associated with running a given A/C in RA versus GA? I used to be fairly familar with the figures but have lost touch. 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

You'd get a reasonable comparison by taking the percentage difference on hire rates from flying schools.

A few threads have started here on ownership costs, but they seem to peter out.

Another factor to take into account is that while RA aircraft have lower rates, some people spend more hours getting to the same objective which washes off some of the financial advantage.

Thanks mate,

I guess I need to work out what I want from flying - rather than just flying itself. I worked my ass off through school and what not - I was even a flight simulator guinea pig for Hawker Pacific once upon a time at 14. The plan was always to go commercial. Now at 31 i think i am over the hill for that - personally.

I think I might drop into Evans Head this weekend and pull some ears and get an idea of whats involved in ownership these days, and what the advantages and disadvantages are.