Just landed - 2010 will be my year!

aglee

Hi, read about this forum in a recnt edition of Recreational Aviation Australia magazine - Thomas Scott article. Very inspiring. I have wanted to fly since I can remember (I'm now 50). Time poor, family and money have always seemed to interfere with my desire to fly but have now made a conscious decision to attempt my recreational licence and build up experience wioth the possiboility of taking it further. I have taken trial flights and most recently in October 2008 - I managed a take off and landing and several circuits around the training area at Moorabbin, Victoria. It was simply great. I have also (many years past) spent an hour in an Ansett 727 simulator - very cool. Flew the thing under Sydney harbour bridge! Anyway this seemed a relatively more cost effective approach as I am a big believer in currency and flight time - regular flight hours to maintain skill and experience. So hopefully this will be my year for sprouting wings! Will be looking for some sage advice of quality flight schools in my area (Essendon, Victoria) and also the better types of recreational fixed wing aircraft to fly. Cheers Tony

Welcome aglee,

I know just how you feel having gone decades with the desire to fly before finally getting into it - and its GREAT:big_grin: You'll find the help and advice here is very good without the :kboom: you sometimes get on other sites.

Cheers,

Pud

Welcome aglee - good to see your long term ambition starting to come to fruition! I started out flying when I was 60, and I met a guy today at Lilydale taking his first trial flight at 80, so it's never too late!

Guest stan kleidon

Hi Tony, Stan kleidon here from Chinchilla Q L D. I had the dream of flying since my Granmar gave me a little tin aeroplane when i was a little kid. Now 57 got my pilot licence early December 2009, I bought a farm when i was 23 had it to pay for, got married raised a family of 2 girls & 2 boys 3 kids married now, 2 grand sons, what a thrill it was to take them all for a fly in the jabiru, youngest granson 4, said i want to go again grandad, what a feeling. If you want to do it i Say go for it, i thought i couldn't aford it but it's not that expensive. Cheers Stan:welcome:

Hi, read about this forum in a recnt edition of Recreational Aviation Australia magazine - Thomas Scott article. Very inspiring.

G'day Tony, glad to have you, so a big, Welcome along... :thumb_up:

I'm pretty stoked to hear you thought the article inspiring, I'm he who wrote it, so thanks a lot.

Hope you get into the air as soon as possible, go for it while you can!

:big_grin:

Welcome aglee,I know just how you feel having gone decades with the desire to fly before finally getting into it - and its GREAT:big_grin: You'll find the help and advice here is very good without the :kboom: you sometimes get on other sites.

Cheers,

Pud

Hi, thanks for your your reply and advice re: this site. Not quite sure just when I will hit the skys this year (have to clear a couple of debts first) but I am determined to make it happen. Which Recreational aircraft do you recommend traing in, flying and why? Cheers Tonybig_grin.gif

Welcome aglee - good to see your long term ambition starting to come to fruition! I started out flying when I was 60, and I met a guy today at Lilydale taking his first trial flight at 80, so it's never too late!

Hi Graeme, Thanks for your reply. It is always very satisfying when long term ambitions come to fruition. Cheers Tony

Well done and Welcome to the forum - Heaps of interesting information to be found here - Good LuckMike

Hi Mike, Thanks for your welcoming reply and I will certainly be spending some time here shifting hrough the forums and information. Cheers Tony

Hi Tony, Stan kleidon here from Chinchilla Q L D. I had the dream of flying since my Granmar gave me a little tin aeroplane when i was a little kid. Now 57 got my pilot licence early December 2009, I bought a farm when i was 23 had it to pay for, got married raised a family of 2 girls & 2 boys 3 kids married now, 2 grand sons, what a thrill it was to take them all for a fly in the jabiru, youngest granson 4, said i want to go again grandad, what a feeling. If you want to do it i Say go for it, i thought i couldn't aford it but it's not that expensive. Cheers Stan:welcome:

Hi Stan, yeah I completely understand. So not sure just when this year (got to clear a few debts) but I am determined to hit the skies this year! Cheers Tony

G'day Tony, glad to have you, so a big, Welcome along... :thumb_up:I'm pretty stoked to hear you thought the article inspiring, I'm he who wrote it, so thanks a lot.

Hope you get into the air as soon as possible, go for it while you can!

:big_grin:

hey Tomo, great article. Really enjoyed the read. And well done to you. Enjoy the skies! Cheers Tony

Which Recreational aircraft do you recommend traing in, flying and why? Cheers Tonybig_grin.gif

How long is a piece of string Tony?

I reckon to start you should go with whatever is convenient to your location and close to what you like. For me, I started on the rag and tube Drifter back in 1996, changed to the Lightwing, then the Gazelle and now I'm back to the rag and tube but this time in a Thruster. You might say I like 'em slow. You on the other hand may like the 'fantastic plastics' such as the Jabiru. Its great to have such a choice eh?

Good luck with your choice and safe skies.

Pud

Keep at it.

Tony,

I to have had aspirations for a very long time, since my teenage years to fly..God knows how many TIF's I have taken in UK and now Australia.

I to was in the same boat as you, finances and family commitments held me back for some time.

I have bit the bullet and in October 2009 started lessons, well into my training now, enjoying every minute of it and hope to have my PPL by the time I turn 55..(actually I have set a target date of end of March 2010).

On track to acheive that.

Keep at it mate and spend some time tramping around the flying schools asking as many questions as possible before you make your choice with whom to train with.

Regards

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Tony,

First SOLO today....well on the way to my targets..

Hope you have have selected the right flying school...recently I have met people who have changed schools for some reason or other...spend the time looking around the schools it will be worth the effort.

Regards

Keith