Can you make RAA aircraft work for you?

Tomo

Guest basscheffers
ISo, Dick Smith takes a few snaps out the window, bungs them in a book and sells them. IANAL, but he's probably in the clear, because he's taking the piccies for himself not on behalf of someone else.

Also: under laws governing the use of photography, the use of his pictures would be considered editorial, not commercial.

My understanding of the use of aircraft hinges on whether the aircraft is used in the actual work you are doing - or, is only the means to get you to and from where you either work or provide a service.

So, for aerial photography - the aircraft is as essential as the camera. For working on a piece of farm equipment, or working at a minesite, etc - the aircraft only gets you there....it's not essential to the service you provide.

Your aircraft costs can be billed to the client as 'travel' - just as you'd bill them for 'mileage' on a per km basis. In many instances, I have actually billed clients on a (road equivalent) per km basis - even though I flew there.

I have used my own aircraft between 1976 and 2010 for hundreds of hours annually to visit clients - and there has never been one single query from the ATO. Mind you, we have accurate documentation of our costs, and keep detailed trip records in a specific logbook in each aircraft. The aircraft go onto the depreciation schedule, and everything is transparent.

Be very careful about trying to pull one on the ATO - they've seen it all before !

See a good accountant - I did, and I've had the same firm do my books since 1976. The costs hurt - but the good accountants have credibility with the ATO, and you'll suffer less audits.

happy days,