Buying plane and getting back into it

Hi all,

Just need some advice. I have a restricted pilots licence since 1992. Would like to buy a Jabiru J 160 or a Skyfox Gazelle. What is the difference between GA and RA? What would I have to do to get back into it. A current medical I suspect. What would be the best way to go?

Cheers

Rosedale

Guest rocketdriver
Hi all,Just need some advice. I have a restricted pilots licence since 1992. Would like to buy a Jabiru J 160 or a Skyfox Gazelle. What is the difference between GA and RA? What would I have to do to get back into it. A current medical I suspect. What would be the best way to go?

Cheers

Rosedale

Hi Rosedale ...098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif similar position and ambition to myself! I'll leave others better qualified than me to discuss/advise on the precise details ..... or better yet, have a chat to your local RAA flying school. Broadly, your GA hours will count towards your RAA licence requirements, you will need to be a member of the RAA ($160 I think) you'll need some refresher training, be fit enough to drive a car and succesfully fly a licence test/BFR.

I'm sure your RAA instructor will cover this in detail, but you will need to get used to aeroplanes that are light with relatively low wing loadings to keep the stall speeds down.:) So you will find that you get bounced around a bit more in turbulence. :loopy:Another difference is that, being light in comparison to GA aeroplanes, they tend to slow down a lot quicker if you loose motive power. thumb_downSome are quite draggy (not so much the Jab, can't say about the Gazelle) which just makes it worse .... . Having said that, its no big deal, just a matter of getting used to it and flying accordingly.:rotary:

Other differences are lower costs, no IFR, no night flying, no aerobaticsthumb_down, max 1 pax.

Good luck with it ... oh, and your local RAA flying school really is the best place to go for good advice and costings on the change over .... Looking forward to hearing of your progress!!:big_grin:

Hi Roseldale.

The two aircraft you have inicated interest in can be registered either RAA or GA.

You need to think alot about what you want to do with the aircraft and the licence you get.

With an RAA certificate you can't fly into controlled airspace. So if your plans are to visit larger reginoal or "bigsmoke" airstrips, then you will need a ppl.

However, that doesn't mean you need to have the aircraft GA registered. The aircraft can still fly in controlled airspace if it meets certain criteria, but first and formost, the pilot needs to have a ppl.

Jabiru's and gazelle's are two different animals. Both have their advantages and dissadvantages.

The Gazelle is not a fantastic touring aircraft, it can only hold about 3 hours worth of fuel, and if you or your passenger are heavy people, then fuel needs to be taken out to allow for the extra weight. It has a very limited baggage compartment. But, it is a very nice little aircraft to fly and very easy to operate.

The jabiru can carry more fuel, more passenger weight, and go a lot faster. The down side is, its much trickier to fly and particularly land.

With the restricted licence you have, you will need to do some training with an U'L instructor. But all the flying you've done counts towards an RAA certificate.

Hope we have helped,

cheers