Hiring for Touring

sfGnome

Apologies if this is a dumb question or if it's been discussed before, but is it possible to hire for the purposes of touring, or is touring limited to those who own their own plane? I mean, I can understand that the schools need to keep their plans available for lessons, but are there any less utilised planes that can be hired?

Gnome - Whilst I stand to be corrected, I'm sure you can hire any certified aircraft, L2 maintained (factory built), even if privately owned etc. Alternatively you can borrow, for no reward to the owner, any aircraft & fly it with the owner probably only suggesting you'd better put the fuel in the tank.Cheers

Dexter

Whatever the case check the insurance policy!

Alternatively you can borrow, for no reward to the owner, any aircraft & fly it with the owner probably only suggesting you'd better put the fuel in the tank.Cheers

Dexter

Ah, but the trick is to find such a kind individual, isn't it? :) I guess that's the nub of the problem. Is there a directory somewhere (sorted by location) of a/c that may be accessible for periods longer than a day, or is it just a case of who you know? (I will be discussing this with my CFI, but as the school is a single a/c operation, I'm sure that it's not an option).

Guest skyspud

Hi sfGnome,

When I was initially getting my hours up I did a few long trips for property valuers around Qld. I approached the Redcliffe aeroclub/flying school where I was a member and was able to hire an archer(VH-FRF) for 2 weeks at a time. I had to do a base check on the plane with an instructor first time for insurance. Also we were doing at least 3 hrs a day, so they were making money which is their main concern. Don't know much about what's available down your way but I've always assumed that this was common and easy to do. You might have to join as a paying club member somewhere which wouldn't hurt, and your sure to need to pay for a dual/icus base check.

There was a crowd which did a safari with 6-8 planes 172's,jabs,warriors which departed from Coolangatta up to Darwin and back. Not sure if they still operate. Australian Wings Aircraft I think.

Good luck with your search.

skyspud

Go fast and take chances