Rotax inspection/overhaul in Sydney

dterry

Hi ... I am looking at possibly purchasing a microlight with a Rotax 582 that has been sitting unused in a garage for about 2-3 years, so I need to have the motor stripped right down, inspected, and serviced.

I am Sydney based - so has anyone got any any suggestions or recommendations on where I could get this done locally ? ... or am I stuck with shipping it to Melbourne to the Rotax distributor down there ????

Guest Andys@coffs
Hi ... I am looking at possibly purchasing a microlight with a Rotax 582 that has been sitting unused in a garage for about 2-3 years, so I need to have the motor stripped right down, inspected, and serviced. I am Sydney based - so has anyone got any any suggestions or recommendations on where I could get this done locally ? ... or am I stuck with shipping it to Melbourne to the Rotax distributor down there ????

How many hours has the engine done?

Why do I ask? My experience with 582 overhauls are that for 10% more cost you get a new engine and a warranty that actually means something. (That pressumes you pay commercial rates for the work to be done, and that everything that Rotax says you should change on a 400hr overhauls actually is)

Also is it a grey head or blue head, that will give some indication of the age.

If you havent yet purchased it is my suggestion, which Im sure is not universally held, that you look for a 4stroke solution. Having been in 3 seperate 582 engine siezure situations (all one after the other, 2 in the air, one on the ground, the last 2 operating under explicit instructions from the mechanic) , with a resultant outcome that a 390hr engine was bored out twice and cant be oversized again thus making a fantastic paper weight.

So forgive me if the only time I want to touch a 582 is to push it over a cliff...

Andy