HKS

Guest danda

My 80hp 912 in the Skyranger burns less than 10 lit per hour when gently pottering around the block at 60kts and just under 4000RPM.

Difficult to measure precisely without going to quite considerable trouble.

At 75kts ecco cruise consumption is 14 lit per hr at 4900RPM

best wishes

David Hill

912 s fuel consumption

Good day chaps.

This is a very interesting thread, we have a 912 s fitted to a 18 square metre wing for crop spraying, this is possibly the most arduous conditions for a trike and its motor. This fellow returns about 12-14 litres an hour, sure it normally takes off very close to its "work" (farm roads in the cane) and dumps its load sort of immediately. These are real figures though.

Possibly related to the same thread is the demise of the Rotax 2 strokes, the 447/503 are apparently discontinued and the 582 apparently the end of next year. The benefits of forums like this and the South African microlighters is that it allows people to share a pro active knowledge base. With so many people hunting for an alternative power source it will definitely happen. The HKS is one option for trikes and the Jabiru for three axis as the Verner etc. Its just the high cost of the 912 series.

Keep it going Nev

Paul

Rotax 2-strokes.

Particularly in Australia, the Rotax family of 2-strokes predominate and their demise will create a problem, particularly for earlier type aircraft. There is no doubt that the price of parts seems to be high. The crankshaft cost being the main problem, but ALL Rotax aero-engine parts are expensive. We are not looking at anything particularly high-tech here either, and any developmental costs have been well & truly paid for long ago. All that is needed is a fair bit of quality control.

Overseas Hirth seem to be well accepted, and the company are a well established builder of full sized aero engines, not just a backyard show, so maybe something there. They have high TBO's.

All things being otherwise equal, I don't think there are many who would choose a 2-stroke in preference to a 4-stroke, with current technology. The Wankel rotary remains an option for the small sport plane,as it is compact, relatively smooth and if the seals are good enough to start the engine, it is not likely to spit bits out when it is running. It's not particularly fuel efficient ( and probably never will be due to some of its design features) but it's better than a 2-stroke. Just my musings.. Nev...

The main problem encountered with the Hirth engine is the operator who thinks he can run them on 91 octane mogas. It is a high compression ratio engine and it needs to be fed accordingly.

Ian Borg, the fuel consumption figures I was quoting were for the 100 HP 3300.

David Hill. The figures you quote seem pretty close to what i would have expected at those sort of revs. I get 15 litres at around 4700. It probably does the engine more good than harm to run it for a while at a higher power setting occasionally if the car engine belonging to an elderly lady of my acquaintance is any example.

David

I am sorry facthunter (Nev)if you found my comments offensive that certainly was not my intention it was meant to be a simple throw away line hence the reference to the Holden v Ford. Nev please except my apology for upsetting you.

Don

Comment.

Of course, Don. ( Danda )Thank you. I do try hard to put a safe and factual post up, as I wouldn't want anyone to get something from the forum that could get them into an unsafe situation if they simply believed it. I'm probably a little over-cautious, but that may explain why I am still alive. Cheers... Nev...