Tassie trip

Guest check-in

Guest check-in

Hi all ye long range adventurers.

Weather permitting, I am hoping to fly the Sonex down from Kilcoy to as near as I can get to Hobart. The intention is to leave Kilcoy about 6th or 7th April and launch across the ditch from Phillip Island, tracking coastal to the nearest point of Wilson's Prom then to Deal Island, Flinders Island etc. The plan is to park the Sonex in Tas for about 10 days and do a lap of the island on a hired motorbike. The motorbike hire place is in Hobart; hence the hope to get fairly close by air, but if there's a better option for parking further away, I would just catch a bus into Hobart - if such a possibility exists.

I am thinking southbound inland via Moree etc until near Geelong then across Port Phillip Bay for a bit of a scenic and on the return hug the coast all the way to near Surfer's. I can't see any other southern inland route that avoids the tiger country in S.E. Victoria.

The Sonex is limited to 300 nm in still air between drinks.

Any suggestions re safest route, fuel availability (either avgas or 98 octane is OK) and secure parking much appreciated.

Hi Check-in,

Hobart has two airports in close proximity serviced by the same bus service, it is a little on the slow side on pick up, if you worked in the public service you should be fine with the wait:laugh:. You will need to organise the bus pick up, we did ours through Tourism Tasmania web site(got the phone number to ring when we got there).

We were there in April of last year and the bus cost $12 each to constitution dock, the nearest golden arches to the airports is worth a miss,slow service and the food looked second hand.

The chocolate factory and raspberry farm east of Devonport is worth a visit as well as the fish and chip shop at the wharf at Ulverstone, it is the best seafood on that coast. If you plan to go to Cradle mountain go via Devonport,better road and shorter too, expect bleak weather up there and rain.

Launceston has on Elizabeth Street a food hall that is better than most and the prices are good, that city also has a good zoo, that is doing the research into the Tassie devil cancers, it is worth a visit.

Bob.

• 1 month later...