A long time in the wilderness

Orf

Some 45 years ago I was an RAAF fighter pilot and then disappeared into the wilderness of non flying.

Recently I decided I am not too old to fly so here I am looking for an aircraft to buy.

I will be at Natfly to see what is available.

Any advice?

Guest Maj Millard

There will be plenty there to look at Orf, with all the new and latest stuff. Take your check book !..hook into the folks from this forum, who will be there, for any knowledgable advice on aircraft that you may need. Enjoy, and Welcome to the forum...................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

So what were you flying 45 years ago ?.......I did six years 68-74 with Hercs and Mirages myself, just as ground crew.

So what were you flying 45 years ago ?.......I did six years 68-74 with Hercs and Mirages myself, just as ground crew.

I mainly flew Vampires, Meteors and Sabres. I was a member of the Meteorite Aerobatic Team.I spent 2 years at Richmond as a test pilot flying aircraft coming out of De Haviland and Fairy Aviation, Bankstown. I was involved in testing the Cessna 180s that the army had acquired. I even flew the last RAAF Auster down to Tocumwell for disposal.

I am also qualified on Dakotas, Winjeels, Tiger Moths and Wirraways. I even have a couple of hours in a Lincoln Bomber.

When I was at Richond I had the pleasure of flying 5 different types of aircraft in one day - most enjoyable.

Guest Maj Millard

When I arrived at Williamtown around 72, the Vampires were all parked up, they still had two operational Sabres flying so I got to see them operate. The Macchis' and Mirages were all the go.......................................................................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Decca

Hello Orf, welcome to the forums.

What a fantastic experience you've had! First idea I have for you re aircraft is list your main ideal requirements, eg high/low wing, cruising speed, range, useful load, tricycle undercarriage etc. Then you only have to consider the applicable ones.

Regards, Decca.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Hello Orf, welcome to the forums.What a fantastic experience you've had! First idea I have for you re aircraft is list your main ideal requirements, eg high/low wing, cruising speed, range, useful load, tricycle undercarriage etc. Then you only have to consider the applicable ones.

Thanks Decca, I will do that.I hope to fly all the short listed aircraft before making a final decision.

One thing I am not sure of, the type of propeller. I see that there are fixed pitched, variable pitched and constant speed propellers. Where can I get info on the merits of each?

Guest Decca

I'm no expert on props, Orf. If I had my way and money, I'd go constant speed, but then my budget might reach a basic, budget, cost effective make & model which doesn't even have one of those as an option.

Anyway it's you we're accomodating here. Merits of each? Surf the net, and start a new thread in the propellers forum asking for those in the know here to get some experienced, hands on sugestions. I hope you can get the best option you want for the make & model a/c you choose.

For my own benefit too, I'll follow what transpires.

Regards, Decca.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Sharp End
I mainly flew Vampires, Meteors and Sabres. I was a member of the Meteorite Aerobatic Team.I spent 2 years at Richmond as a test pilot flying aircraft coming out of De Haviland and Fairy Aviation, Bankstown. I was involved in testing the Cessna 180s that the army had acquired. I even flew the last RAAF Auster down to Tocumwell for disposal.

I am also qualified on Dakotas, Winjeels, Tiger Moths and Wirraways. I even have a couple of hours in a Lincoln Bomber.

When I was at Richond I had the pleasure of flying 5 different types of aircraft in one day - most enjoyable.

Good to see another sharpender here. Welcome and enjoy the forums.

suitable plane

There's a lot to choose from and getting more all the time. Take your time and fly as many as you can before you make a decision.

re props, they are generally not certified. wood is bombproof (relatively) but doesn't like rain. If you are not cruising at above 110 Kts, you don't need a variable pitch unit. Weight is a limiting factor with a lot of our types, especially if you are not built like a racing Rat, and want to go distances, and carry a few things. Look into this aspect at the outset. You can service most (but not all) of the categories if you are the owner/operator. Study the RAAus website. It is pretty comprehensive. Nev

There's a lot to choose from and getting more all the time. Take your time and fly as many as you can before you make a decision. re props, they are generally not certified. wood is bombproof (relatively) but doesn't like rain. If you are not cruising at above 110 Kts, you don't need a variable pitch unit. Weight is a limiting factor with a lot of our types, especially if you are not built like a racing Rat, and want to go distances, and carry a few things. Look into this aspect at the outset. You can service most (but not all) of the categories if you are the owner/operator. Study the RAAus website. It is pretty comprehensive. Nev

Thanks for the info, Nev. I have just returned from Natfly and had a great time there. I have narrowed down my short list to 3 aircraft - a CTLS, a Pioneer 300 and a Paradise P-1.

There is not much between the three. The first two seemed more susceptible to air turbulance that the Paradise, however, this aircraft has the slowest cruise speed at 99 kts.

I guess this is the same old story - comfort v speed.

The Paradise does have plenty of luggage area being originally a four seater.

The Pioneer being low wing with retractable u/c does introduce the problem of climbing in and out (I am getting on in years) but it does make refueling easier than on the high wing a/c.

I note your comment on fixed prop if not above 100 kts which simplifies flying the Paradise.

I will list all the features of the three a/c in a spreadsheet and make my decisionin the next few days.

Of course, any comments are welcome.

To that end, I will be mostly flying to places far and wide rather than circulating home base for an hour before coming down to earth once again. I intend to fit auto pilot to whichever a/c I buy, which should help in lessening the effects of air turbulance.

Orf