Woman dies in ultralight plane crash

A woman has died in an ultralight plane crash in central Queensland.

The crash occurred at the Tartrus Station airfield, Marlborough, northwest of Rockhampton, about 2.45pm (AEST) on Sunday, a Department of Community Safety spokesman said.

The plane's female passenger, whose age is not yet known, died before emergency services arrived on the scene, he said.

The 19-year-old male pilot, who was the only other person onboard, managed to walk away from the wreckage.

The plane's female passenger, whose age is not yet known, died before emergency services arrived on the scene, he said.

He has been transported to Rockhampton Base Hospital to be treated for an arm laceration.

Police said the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and the Australian Transport Safety Bureau had been advised and investigations were continuing.

Guest Maj Millard

Unfortunatly it appears that the woman killed was Lady McCamley (79) from Tarturus Station. The aircraft was probabily the new Lightwing Speed that was sitting in the Lightwing showroom a few months ago awaiting delivery to Tarturus, when I visited the factory at Ballina. I can remember being very impressed with the quality of finish on the aircraft, and just how far they have come since I saw the prototype Speed a few years back.

I dropped in to Tarturus a couple of times in the late 90s in the Drifter, on the way to the Old Station fly-in at Raglan.

The McCamleys are an aviation family, and were always very helpfull and welcoming, to someone just passing through.

My condolences to the family at this time of their sad loss.......................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif