LSa PPL training in SEQld

Hi All,

I have decided that as soon as I return from my honeymoon I am going to work on getting my CPL. Start will be to get my PPL. I would like to do this in an lsa (tecnam preferably but i'll take anything). Does anyone know of any schools in SEQLD that have VH registered lsa's? Preferably Archerfield but anything will do. I know there is one in redcliffe but I was hoping to avoid the drive.

Cheers,

J

Thanks Crezzi. They don't anymore. I asked their prices. You're looking at $330+fuel surcharge per hour for the c172's.

There really is a call i think for lsa ppl operators. Get that price down to ~$220 and you're laughing.

Guest Sharp End
Hi All,I have decided that as soon as I return from my honeymoon I am going to work on getting my CPL. Start will be to get my PPL. I would like to do this in an lsa (tecnam preferably but i'll take anything). Does anyone know of any schools in SEQLD that have VH registered lsa's? Preferably Archerfield but anything will do. I know there is one in redcliffe but I was hoping to avoid the drive.

Cheers,

J

Shags,

Believe me the drive is worth it. Archerfield has such high charges it's ridiculous... landing/ATC are $30 per tonne MTOW per flight, parking charge is about $7.50 per tonne per day. I'd go to Redcliffe or maybe consider Boonah.

S-E

Guest Sharp End
Boonah's a bit of a drive isn't it?

Yep, Boonah' is a bit of a drive. So's almost anywhere from Brisbane.

Are there any ppl trainers out there with LSA's?

Don't think so Shags, but I suggest you email Greg Neale, the CFI of Airsport Queensland, he'll be able to advise: [email protected]

Hi Shags, not sure where you live but Caboolture is probably similar to Boonah in distance from the CBD. I am having my lessons at Redcliffe where they have a VH registered Tecnam P92 (probably the same place you already know about). The instructors are great and everyone who works there is really friendly.

Guest basscheffers

Can you buy an aircraft and pay for the instructor? Cheaper in the long run. Shouldn't lose much in value over the time it takes to train, may even apreciate with the Global Fried Chicken subsiding.

Guest Crezzi
I'm at capalaba so it's a fair drive.

You're not far from me Shags - Boonah is almost twice as long to drive to than Caboolture

Cheers

John

Agree Crezzi. Redcliffe flight training is the best priced I can find.

Thanks for your help guys. Maybe it would be cheaper to buy my own aircraft and hire an instructor. Will have to do some math to check it out.

Shags I'm not far from you (and Crezzi from the sound of it!) Wouldn't it be great to have an airport somewhere nearby?

Since moving here from interstate I have been astounded at how unprofessional some of the schools are. I really can't recommend anywhere in Brisbane for GA (for the type of training I've been after anyway).

Archerfield is a complete disaster. One school has been given a wind up notice, another has had a disastrous run of instructors coming and going.

Caboolture has a good variety, the schools have limits on what they can teach but I'm sure you could do CPL. It's not that far. Not a bad place.

Redcliffe has that new school, probably the one you are talking about, I'm not sure what they are like. My experience with the aero club there was not good, but they do concentrate on other types of training (ME CIR I think).

You might think Caboolture is a long way but I haven't found anywhere that can help me so I need to head off to Toowoomba, and that really is a long way!

I'm at capalaba so it's a fair drive. But if I reduce my cost by $100 per hour or more it's worth it. Where are you learning?

Thanks Crezzi. They don't anymore. I asked their prices. You're looking at $330+fuel surcharge per hour for the c172's. There really is a call i think for lsa ppl operators. Get that price down to ~$220 and you're laughing.

:confused:

You should be able to train in a 152 for $200 an hour. I trained in a 172 in Caloundra for $265 during the stupidly high fuel prices a few years ago.

152 at archerfield is about $300 minimum.

Unfortunately, as far as i'm aware there are no GA instructors at caboolture. Particularly one with an lsa.

Mazda, I had a few goes at a couple fo schools at archerfield. I was really happy with sunland till my instructor left (perhaps thats the school you are referring to maybe ;) )

I just can't get over the price. We are spoilt in RA, and I don't see why. How can it be any more expensive to train in GA than RA?

Guest Crezzi
Unfortunately, as far as i'm aware there are no GA instructors at caboolture. Particularly one with an lsa.

There are a couple of GA operations at Caboolture - I believe Bryan Carpenter is highly recommended (despite a rather lame website !) Aero Dynamic Flight Academy

Cheers

John

Aero Dynamic Flight Academy[/url]

Bryan is good, I'm going to do my GA license through him, despite the distance. Not real sure about cost at this stage, but he recognizes RAA hrs, and understands you 'do' actually know how to fly. So that is a bonus in my opinion.

I did a flight a few yrs ago over Hervey Bay with him, a great chap. :thumb_up:

Guest Cloudsuck

Hey Shags, there is a guy in the latest Aviation Trader selling a Cessna 150M for $38,500. If you purchase the plane, he will throw in training to PPL level. Not sure if he is Qld though.

I did my last BFR with Brian Carpenter. He seems like a good guy and will look after RAAus guys in respect of the hours, however, the price he quoted over the phone doubled by the time I did the BFR a few weeks later. I think it came in at around $300 for 1.1 hours in a 172 with a T&G at Maroochy.

I am doing my PPL with Steve Taddeucci at Gil Layts Flying School at Archerfield, Steve is a crop duster pilot and a great instructor I highly reccomend them. The C150 costs $255 p/h plus landing fees.

• 2 weeks later...
I am doing my PPL with Steve Taddeucci at Gil Layts Flying School at Archerfield, Steve is a crop duster pilot and a great instructor I highly reccomend them. The C150 costs $255 p/h plus landing fees.

I did some flying with Steve Taddeucci, when he was at Southen Skies Aviation (sunland now i think) in 1998, back. He is a Good instructor