HID light and radio

jetjr

Will a single 35W HID light, or rather the ballast cause VHF radio interferance, or any other problem?

Im looking at using an automotive type one in a Jabiru due to low current requirement

Any experience?

I've got a couple different of 35W HID systems and they both are auckward (bulky) and put out RFI sufficient to be a concern and I have not found a suitable reflector to give the sort of beam desired. They make good jet engine ignition units though.

What I use is a Halogen display lamp, the latest generation of these are near the same efficiency as HID and only available up to 45 watt (replaces regular 75 W halogen)

The one specifically I use is Philips Masterline ES 12V 45W 08 deg

I had a hangar shootout against a 4509 landing light (100W), a 50W halogen version of the same, a 60 deg Masterline and the 8 deg Masterline which was the best to use. These ones also have a curved front face and the burner assembly is enclosed, making them more suitable for the job

Ralph

Yeah, I had a look at a "compact" HID from Narva - not only big but heavy too.

How do you mount these Gu5.3 lights?

Jabiru have a housing which clamps to LH strut which may suit.

Anyone know?

Folks,

There is quite a range of STC's HID light conversions for certified aircraft, the shielding is vital. Their specs. would be a good place to start.

An important point not so far mentioned is they run cool, so lights on without a cooling airflow/ground operations is not nearly as critical as most other bulbs.

Regards,