Perth (WA) - Newcastle (NSW)

sseeker

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking into the future now, I'm a fairly new pilot 23.8hrs almost got my pilot cert. My brother is an experienced GA pilot and could be the person accompanying me on my trip (or my mum, who isn't a very experienced pilot, or a pilot at all 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif) I'm looking at my options for a trip to Newcastle in NSW. By August (which is when I plan to undertake the trip) I should have roughly 70-100 hours (combined dual and solo - I fly quite regulary, and navs build hours quickly I take it?)

Some of the things I've been considering are:

• Where to stay? - I've done the Nullarbor trip by road and I know quite a few roadhouses on the Eyre Highway have airstrips.

• What aircraft I can take? - J160C would take way to long with crew & light luggage. I was actually thinking of a Tecnam or J230?

• Approximately how long it will take one way. - I'm guessing a few days to 1 week? Of course the return journey to WA will take longer because of strong headwinds.

• Cost. - It isn't much of a problem, flying costs money & it's worth every penny.

• Some family lives in Pt. Augusta & Adelaide (and I hear Parafield is pretty friendly with ultralights as well! :big_grin:) so it'll be worth visiting them on the way across.

• I also realise that Newcastle's main airport is RAAF Williamtown which is a controlled aerodrome. Can anyone suggest a local country strip?

It's a bit of a plunge for some who at the time will have approx 70-100hrs but you have to take it eventually I guess, and I think a trip across the Nullarbor is ideal. It'll build loads of experience and will be worth it! Reason I wanna take the whole trip is because there's a conference in Newcastle in August & I really want to make a presentation for me and my brothers business. Hopefully it'll pay my return trip 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Anything else I should consider or take note of?

I appreciate your help,

Andrew

Andrew,

Have a look at Donkey's recent posts on his trip from the latrobe valley to Perth and return.

There is a lot a great data there that will go some way to answering your points.