Just landed on just landed

Latestarter

Hello all,

Just starting to look at learning to fly and have a TIF booked. I've been looking at planes for sale and different threads and don't know where to start. Can anyone give me an introduction to my options from here and how much it costs to take it further if I wanted to learn how to fly and how often it would be best to take lessons so I don't forget what I learnt the last time? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Guest Decca

Hi Latestarter, welcome to our forums.

For a start don't be concerned about "starting late". What got you interested?

With a TIF just booked (this could also be treated as your first lesson), I would not even consider what aircraft type I would like to purchase, as I may not even like this flying game. And there is a lot to learn & consider in your first few lessons. There will be plenty of good suggestions here, but they are very much all personal ones, based on likes, costs, where to train, etc.

Regards, Decca.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

what's next

G'day Decca,

I've always been interested in aircraft but just haven't got around to doing anything about it. My son has just started a commercial pilot's course through Uni SA and has encouraged me to have a look. I've enjoyed an aerobatic flight with the local war bird flyers and love the idea of learning to fly but with one eye on the cost and don't want to start and get part way through and run out of money. I would expect any flying would be really recreational and not travelling huge distances but wouldn't want to get rusty. Taking my wife with me would be great too. I can't wait for the TIF.

cheers

Guest Decca

All good answers Latestarter, & hope I didn't sound too prying, hard, or inquisitive. Also good to see family is supporting this endeavour, especially having been on warbird flight/s. Which may or may not have taken you outside any "comfort level" you may have previously held.

One good (very cheap) way of becoming more exposed (I've resorted to this before, but have a lot of years of industry experience to back myself) & that is become a "groupie" of a local flying club. Cleaning windscreens, washing aircraft, just asking questions (yes even at our age) produces results, such as "if you're not doing anything, come for a fly with me, etc, etc.

So keep us informed of your flying, I may be able to help with more info as you proceed.

Regards, Decca.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hi Latestarter! Better late than never. 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Everyone's different, so I can only tell you a few things as I found them. I had lessons most weeks (weather permitting), and it took me about a year from dreaming to having my cross-country and passenger endorsements. Total cost, approx $8000. If you can budget something in that order, you won't run out half way through. :)

I reckon if I'd had lessons more than once a week, my brain would have exploded, particularly in the first few months. Then again, if I'd had longer gaps between lessons then it would have just taken too long (we haven't got that much time to play with any more... 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif). On the odd occasions when I did have a few weeks between lessons, I didn't notice my skills being any the worse for the wait, so I wouldn't be too worried on that front.

Like I said though, everyone's different so just get out there and suck it and see! :thumb_up:

Thanks for info

No worries Decca regarding info request. It's all good. Although I have lots to learn here is a question for you. What's the best recreational aircraft that will carry two in an enclosed cockpit and flys at a decent speed but is also economical? An easy flyer is the go too as I have no aspirations towards fancy flying. I know I could end up somewhere completely different but throw some aircraft names around.

cheers

Hi latestarter there are a few of us who fall under this banner. I believe you are never to old to learn. Hey Decca the last time I did a groupie thing at the airfield I was washing the top of the wings & fell off the ladder 2 trips to the chiro later came good . Sue

Thanks for that info Gnome. Is there a big difference between qualifying for short trips and longer travel? Is there a different qualification for "local" flying versus longer travelling?

Your basic pilot certificate only permits you to fly within 25nm of the point of departure, and only by yourself (or with an instructor). To take someone else you need the passenger endorsement, and to travel further than the 25nm radius you need your cross country endorsement. For what I think you want to do, you'll need both.

The RA-Aus "Learn to Fly Guide" has lots of good info - well worth a read.

p.s. I'm talking about a Recreational Pilot's Certificate here, not a Private Pilot's Licence. It's generally more expensive to obtain but allows you to do more. However, the 'more' than you can do (aerobatics, night flying, etc) may not be on your wish list. :)

Hi Latestarter

we all start late at some thing's whether flying or not! Welcome to the amazing world of flight.

Where do you have your TIF booked and what type of aircraft do they operate, maybe more than one type! Some schools stick to one basic type of machine. While others have many different ones. If you learn where there are many different types, at some stage you will be able to check them all out. Or as Decca says just hang about and someone will take you for a ride in one or all !

Gazelles come to mind as a great machine, don't go all that fast, however this doesn't matter if you are not in a hurry. Sometimes it is fantastic to be able to count the rocks in the field on the way past. And they are still faster than the average car!

I own a faster GA machine, and also a slow RAA machine. I only get the fast one out when I need to be somewhere. The slow one is just great fun and very enjoyable! Each to thier own!

Also keep a Kite in the boot of the car just in case I feel the need to fly and only have my car with me!

Lovin' It Cheers

Cost of learning to fly.

Costs probably less than the price a new car would drop in 6 months.

Initially, don't stay up in the air more than about 50 minutes, as you cannot absorb the amount of information. You could do 2 sessions per weekend with a break in between, if your preparation is ahead of the sequences you are doing. Allow for around 28 hours or more to get it all done . Weather will cause disruption from time to time depending on where you are located. Choose you instructor and school carefully as you are only a student ab initio once and it is better to get it right first time than have to correct some techniques later. The basic knowledge and you attitude have a big effect on the result. Good luck ...Nev

Reply to all

Thanks Gnome,

Not interested in night flying and aerobatics at this stage and don't think I will be. Just want to enjoy a cruise in the sky really.

G'day Blueshed,

TIF is at Parafield in a Sportstar. What's the pros and cons of low wing versus high wing and tricycle undercarriage versus tail dragger? I'll have a look at Gazelles, thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the encouragement Wigg, be careful on those wings!

Thanks for the response Facthunter. Any preferences at Parafield flying school wise? Any views on Goolwa airport flying school. Either would be convenient.

Thanks everyone for info and comments. Very much appreciated.

cheers

G'day Latestarter! Great to have you :thumb_up:

Choosing an aircraft of your taste is a hard one, but give it time and try out as many as you can, and you'll get the idea of what you would like.

The pro's and con's are all personal choices re high/low wing, nose/tail wheel, stick/yoke, middle stick/side stick etc... there are so many options it's not funny.

I still haven't settled on one aircraft yet, possibly cause I like flying anything at this stage! :thumb_up:

The Jabiru 120 is really nice though, to fly and get places quick - cranked it up yesterday to 108IAS cruise - 16ltrs hr. :big_grin:

The J230 is great for cruising and carrying stuff!

Lightwing is great fun

Savannah... they're nice to fly!

Drifter is ridiculous fun around the property ;)

Lightning is very nice/fast - but wouldn't want to head of the beaten track for a strip though.

Savage Cub looks pretty cool - yet to be flown and try it out.

Then there is the Quicksilver GT500 - best of both worlds... like a drifter, but fast as well!

Etc etc... 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Have fun :thumb_up:

Schools ? Planes etc.

Can't/won't comment on the schools. Aircraft wise. the Gazelle has to be about the most forgiving aircraft ever built. IF you are big and the instructor is also the Gazelle won't get very high on hot days. Highwing planes have some 'blind spots", but you should be taught how to get around that.. A taildragger teaches you that the rudder has a real purpose, and you must use it. Some time in a Drifter would be nice if you can get it, (classic plane in my opinon), or the Zlin Savage Cub (bit newer). There are plenty of Texan's and the Technams around if you want comfort and a modern cockpit, but they could wait if you want to sample the more BASIC. Jabiru's are there in abundance. so you will have to fly one of them sometime too. It's how you start at the moment that we are looking at. Don't rule out driving somewhere and doing a few days with a school that interests you, and you can finish off at a place near you. Good luck. Nev

:star:011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif ALL GOOD. Do the Tif and then keep going. Its a bit hard at first but after a while it all falls into place. I didn't think I was going to get the hang of it and then Bang at about 10 hrs it came to me. RAAUS lic is heaps cheaper than GA and probably all you need but suss out both. A Gazelle is a great little plane- no rocket ship, just enjoyable flying.

Thanks all

Thanks everyone,

That's a great lot of info. It will keep me busy researching the plane types you've mentioned.

Thanks for all comments, very much appreciated. Keep em coming if you feel they would be helpful.

cheers