Flying into a millitary airfield

Bluey

Hi:

Just wondering if there is a protocol for visiting millitary airfields like Nowra or Richmond on weekends when they are deactivated and the airspace is class G. I have heard from my old instructor that the airfields like to know in advance if you plan to visit. Does anyone know if this is true as I would love to land at Nowra and Richmond in the near future without going to all the trouble of getting prior permission first. Not sure if this makes any difference but I'd be visiting in a trike.

Bluey

Hi bluey,

Yes you will need prior authority to land at Richmond and Nowra, a lot tighter to get in than it once was.

There are people on this site that work at either of these depots that could help you with the spacifics but if no replies here,phone Nowra or/and Richmond.

Bob.

If I ever get round to building an experimental plane, it sure would be nice to use RAAF Edinburgh's runway for first test flights. Maybe I should contact the C.O. if and when the time arrives.

Guest Sharp End
Hi: Just wondering if there is a protocol for visiting millitary airfields like Nowra or Richmond on weekends when they are deactivated and the airspace is class G. I have heard from my old instructor that the airfields like to know in advance if you plan to visit. Does anyone know if this is true as I would love to land at Nowra and Richmond in the near future without going to all the trouble of getting prior permission first. Not sure if this makes any difference but I'd be visiting in a trike.

Bluey

Bluey,

I've not tried in a Trike, but if you simply ring the number published in ERSA and ask to speak to the duty operations officer you'll get an answer straight away. Had no trouble getting into Nowra last year on a weekend. Nowra has a flying club so it'd be worthwhile letting them know your plans. Good luck.