T500 parts

Guest striker

Guest striker

Hi

I'm looking to replace the main undercarriage beam in my T500 Thruster. Anyone know where I can source a new or good 2nd hand one. I am also looking for a new set of suspension springs.

Thanks .......Phil

G'day Striker,

I can't help you directly but if you have the old set of springs any spring manufacturer should be able to make a new set or retemper the old ones as good as new. I'm sure this type of business would exist around Bathurst.

The guy (name escapes me right now) who runs TOSG would probably be able to help although in my experience you can wait a long time for an answer - I think he's very busy.

Good luck with it anyway.

Cheers,

Pud

Guest striker

Hi Pud

Thanks for the reply. I have been in contact with Bob previously and he is in the process of designing a replacement to the spring set up, much like the vision 600 set up. This seems like a good option to me and I'm hopefull this happens in the near future. However in the interim I really need to replace the slightly bent undercarriage beam, maybe I'll be able to straighten it when I get it off? My springs have also sagged heaps, so it would be guesswork getting someone to manafacture a new set correctly. Cheers....Phil

g,day striker,reguarding your thruster springs,i got mine made at tamworth motor spring works[ ph 0267663323 ]they had an original template for the t300/t500 springs & i think they also had the gemini template.

cheers corky450

Sounds like a couple of hard landings striker;)

It's interesting about the Tamworth Motor Springs Works - I'll keep that in mind although I think I'll just take a template of the ones I have now - brand new they are so should be spot on. That way I'll always have the shape template for future use.

Good luck with it anyway.

Cheers,

Pud

Guest striker

Hi Corky and Pud. My T500 was a school plane so I'd imagine it would have had a couple of bounces or two.

I would have thought that the old saggy springs would not be the right shape because they would have spread, thus changing the angle of the spring? Cheers........Phil

• 2 months later...
Hi Corky and Pud. My T500 was a school plane so I'd imagine it would have had a couple of bounces or two.I would have thought that the old saggy springs would not be the right shape because they would have spread, thus changing the angle of the spring? Cheers........Phil

How did you go with your undercarriage striker?

Pud

Guest striker

Its been a bit frustrating actually Pud.

Local manufacturer won't make me a set of springs because its an aircraft plus he says the bends are too acute and the holes too hard to align.

Cant get any action from Bob at TOSG in regards to undercarriage beam, springs/suspension or even a TOSG membership. i_dunno

Phil

Its been a bit frustrating actually Pud.Local manufacturer won't make me a set of springs because its an aircraft plus he says the bends are too acute and the holes too hard to align.

Cant get any action from Bob at TOSG in regards to undercarriage beam, springs/suspension or even a TOSG membership. i_dunno

Phil

Maybe you better take corky's suggestion and try Tamworth.

I've just renewed my membership with TOSG and got an email back from Bob so he may be on the job now. Give him a try on [email protected]

All the best.

Pud

• 4 weeks later...

thruster undercarriage

Hi Striker, regarding your springs and undercarriage try Tony Tiffin on 0408612621 he may be able to help he has a lot of parts for Thrusters. Cheers. The Baron.

Guest striker

Hi Baron.

Got Greg at Tamworth to make me some springs. Thanks for Tony's number, I'll try him for some other parts I need.

Cheers Phil

• 3 months later...
Hi Baron.Got Greg at Tamworth to make me some springs. Thanks for Tony's number, I'll try him for some other parts I need.

Cheers Phil

G'day striker,

How did your new springs work out? Got any pics of the springs in situ?

What about cost Phil; would you care to share with us how much?

Cheers, Pud

Guest striker

Hi Pud

Got the springs sorted thanks. Got Greg to make a set as per the diagram in Tony's T500 manual but also got him to reset the set that were on the aircraft. The set that were on it turn out to be a fair bit shorter and are 4 leaf as apposed to the standard 3.

I put the 4 leaf back on and all is going well. I've forgotten exactly how much it cost, but it was very reasonable, about $250 for both spring sets. I'll try to get some pics when the rain lets up.

Cheers....Phil

Hi PudGot the springs sorted thanks. Got Greg to make a set as per the diagram in Tony's T500 manual but also got him to reset the set that were on the aircraft. The set that were on it turn out to be a fair bit shorter and are 4 leaf as apposed to the standard 3.

I put the 4 leaf back on and all is going well. I've forgotten exactly how much it cost, but it was very reasonable, about $250 for both spring sets. I'll try to get some pics when the rain lets up.

Cheers....Phil

Glad to hear your springs are sorted striker.

I'm interested in seeing the correct 'look' for the undercarriage. There are 3 Thrusters in the hangar where I am and all sit differently according to the spring shape. Some of this is due to number (and hardness) of landings I know, but it would be good to see what it should look like.

My T500 manual has no spring diagram at all so I'd be interested in getting a copy of the diagram. Do the shorter springs mean the aircraft sits lower and/or narrower than the longer springs? I'd imagine the 4 leaf springs would be rather rigid compared to the 3 leaf version; what's the ride like?

Cheers,

Pud

• 2 weeks later...
Guest striker

[ATTACH]12671.vB[/ATTACH]

Here's how my thruster sits with the new springs Pud. I'm told the wheels should be vertical when loaded with fuel and people. I'm happy with the ride and having a home strip/ paddock it's good to have the heavy duty setup and yes it does sit lower.

The spring diagram is in the Tony Hayes T500 manual, which has a lot of other useful information in too.

Pulled the thruster out for a flight yesterday afternoon. Magic. Cheers.......Phil

[ATTACH]12672.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]12673.vB[/ATTACH]

P1000380.thumb.jpg.f923463a93a208b779e6fb29d8c55284.jpg

P1000376.thumb.jpg.5c5b36150d17a3d97dada59d0fc1a09f.jpg

P1000383.thumb.jpg.772c85b6796348e1d0aad64fc6f495d3.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19775[/ATTACH]Here's how my thruster sits with the new springs Pud. I'm told the wheels should be vertical when loaded with fuel and people. I'm happy with the ride and having a home strip/ paddock it's good to have the heavy duty setup and yes it does sit lower.

The spring diagram is in the Tony Hayes T500 manual, which has a lot of other useful information in too.

Pulled the thruster out for a flight yesterday afternoon. Magic. Cheers.......Phil

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19776[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]19777[/ATTACH]

Thanks striker,

Nice looking machine you have there. My wheels are 'toe out' already without wings, fuel or me!!! on board yet. Might have to revisit the undercarriage configuration before the test flight.

Glad to hear you went for a fly, I'm rather envious.

Cheers,

Pud