Theory Tests

Well, the time has come for me to stop being slack and get on with my theory tests... :black_eye:

Is there anywhere I can find a syllabus or something similar that goes through what I need to know for the tests (RT, HF, BAK)?

For HF, will the chapter on HF in the ATC BAK book be enough or is there extra info I should know?

What kind of thing is on the RT test? Is it something you need to study for or is it basically all things you should know from using the radio during training?

Darky...at Natfly there was a lady selling a complete theory book written by a chap in WA if I remember correctly. Was around the $80 mark. Cant recall who it was, maybe someone will recall.

Scotty i_dunno

Darky I think you are heading for the GA tests. CASA publishes a Day VFR syllabus which has the requirements and if you study the standard GA books (like the ATC ones) that should get you through.

And don't forget to ask your instructor!!!! :thumb_up:

On the syllabus, I seem to recall that I downloaded it from RA-Aus website. It covers what you need to know and what level of expertness is required for each.

Or in the Op's manual you received when joining for membership ;)

Hi Darky,

If you can find a HF course that takes up around 1 day, all you have to do is sit it and there's no pass mark required for the exam, although you should pass it if you've just spent the entire day listening to a speaker ;) Most of the human factors stuff is common sense, make sure you read some of the survival techniques in the ERSA (read what ones you think apply to Australia in general - not just you)

In regards to BAK, study hard and make sure you understand the concept not just the examples that Bob Tait/ATC or whatever you're using give. I just read the book and thought I was a genius, I then failed my BAK with 68% (or something like that):(

A word of advice: RTFQ = HFTA (Read the friggen question = half the friggen answer / feel free to mix/match words ;)) - this screwed me over on some very basic questions.

If you can answer the sample questions in the back of Bob Tait's BAK and PPL books you will breeze through it, but might need a bit more work on HF.

If you think you will do a PPL do the CASA theory (rather than RAA theory) now or you will be doing it again.

Scott

Guest Crezzi
If you can find a HF course that takes up around 1 day, all you have to do is sit it and there's no pass mark required for the exam

Not sure thats correct I'm afraid.

Ops manual 3.03 para 6 - "prior to the issue of a PC a student pilot holder must pass an RA-Aus written or multi-choice exam on HF, airmanship & decision making"

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Pretty sure there would be some type of exemption, I did the course in 1 day (I also sat the exam and passed with 80%.). According to my CFI the course was sufficient enough for me and the others to be eligible for a Pilot Cert.

Regards,

Andrew

Guest rocketdriver
Hi John,Pretty sure there would be some type of exemption, I did the course in 1 day (I also sat the exam and passed with 80%.). According to my CFI the course was sufficient enough for me and the others to be eligible for a Pilot Cert.

Regards,

Andrew

When I did my BFR recently, I had to sit the HF exam AND achieve a pass ... marked by the CFI off a "crib" sheet. I understand that the results were sent in to RAA along with the notification of passing the flight review ......

RD

Guest Crezzi
Hi John,Pretty sure there would be some type of exemption, I did the course in 1 day (I also sat the exam and passed with 80%.). According to my CFI the course was sufficient enough for me and the others to be eligible for a Pilot Cert.

Regards,

Andrew

IIRC there was an exemption for "RAAus approved" courses but AFAIK this only applied to the original 2 day courses run by ASFA (mostly attended by instructors). I may have overlooked it but I couldn't find any exemption in the current ops manual.

A shame in some ways as an exemption from sitting the exam might encourage more people to attend a course (& actually learn something useful) rather than just cramming to pass a written test. Although, as you wrote earlier, having done a course passing the exam shouldn't be too difficult.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

He did mention something about it originally being a *3* day course but he crammed it down to one. I'll be sure to ask for you.

099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

Regards,

Andrew

Guest Crezzi

I found the reference I was looking for on the HF endorsement form -

"Attending an RA-Aus Human Factors course, OR

Passing the RA-Aus written exam on Human Factors, OR

Showing other evidence of meeting the above requirements."

I interpreted this to mean an HF course run by RA-Aus themselves (e.g. the 2-3 day ones for instructors) rather than something put together by a school (which wouldn't necessarily be sanctioned by RA-Aus). Hence the attendees on our HF course are also required to pass the exam but I guess its open to interpretation.

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

Radio Test

Is the Radio (or if we want to be fancy, radiotelephony) test written or oral? I was told it was written but other people have said it's oral so now I'm a little confused...or does the school have an option to make it written or oral?

Hi Darky,

When I did my radio at the start of last year it was a written multiple choice real easy. So was the human factor exam I just read the book and did the exam, Multiple choice also.

Monty

Is the Radio (or if we want to be fancy, radiotelephony) test written or oral? I was told it was written but other people have said it's oral so now I'm a little confused...or does the school have an option to make it written or oral?

Darky: My take on it....

Let's say John from off the street could walk in and do the RT exam, and get a radio license But will be a complete hopeless case at actually doing it - talking on the radio (uni students I call 'em! no offense)

But you have already done the Oral test.... you've gone solo and everything, so your instructor has already passed you on that one, or he wouldn't of sent you off on your own and let you use a radio.

Make sense?

Wouldn't want to seem picky Tomo, but I would have thought you couldn't use the radio unless you had passed the test? You would be unlicenenced, no? I seem to recall I'd passed the radio before going solo.

Well, clearly I haven't, so I'm guessing that's not the case?

Well, did the RT and HF tests over the weekend. :)

RT was pretty easy, pretty much everything I knew from just picking it up as I've been learning - 20/20 for that one.

HF was, in the nicest possible way, probably the most useless exam I have ever sat. Ended up guessing most of the questions, clearly my studying of the Human Factors chapter in the BAK text wasn't enough (or relevant at all it seemed). Ah well, got 88% so that's a pass.

Now just BAK to do! i_dunno

Guest Wigg

John just picked up the HF book on Saturday as he is due a flight review. The CFI asked if he has done his HF exam, the answer was of course no. On browsing the 1st few pages has come up with the same conclusion you have Darky. My guess another way to make money. Sue

Guest davidh10
Wouldn't want to seem picky Tomo, but I would have thought you couldn't use the radio unless you had passed the test? You would be unlicenenced, no? I seem to recall I'd passed the radio before going solo.I was sort of surprised that the Radio test wasn't oral. And I think it should be. The written multi chance test is a bit of a cop-out by RA-Aus in the name of standardisation and "objective", comparable results testing.

Quite right.

RAA Radio Endorsement is both written and practical. The practical is examined by the instructor with you using the radio while the instructor is in the aircraft as PIC... ie. before you go Solo. You then do the test, so that you gain your radio endorsement before going Solo.

For HF, my path was to watch the CASA HF video, at the training school, and then be quizzed by the instructor (ie. oral exam).