Notebooks...anyone using them in aircraft ??

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Been looking at the latest notebook range today. I do a lot of time away from home so would like some easy portability to backup my normal home laptop data, PLUS I would like to use the notebook in the aircraft on trips, to access latest weather, and to contact people. Anyone doing this at the moment ?, and does anyone have any good recommendations on units that operate well in aircraft ? I currently use Toshiba/ windows XP or windows 7 would be fine.......Thanks ................................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Try an Asus EEE PC, they're lightweight, very small, able to run Windows comfortably, cheap and have all the bits and bobs (USB, external VGA output, sound card, SD card slot) You can setup wireless internet easily, if you're interested in wireless internet, please PM me. I'm an Exetel agent so I have a pretty good knowledge of wireless coverage in regional areas & I have access to Optus GMAP software so I can almost guarantee your coverage.

-Andrew

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks Andrew, I will certainly look at your recommendations and get back to you. Saw an Asus Eeepc Netbook today for $484 with 1.6 gigs atom cpu, 1 GB ram and 250 GB hard drive plus ethernet and wireless ready, with a windows starter. (whats a windows starter by the way ?) good deal ??.............................Cheers Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hi Maj,

Yes that sounds like a particularly good deal, Windows XP Starter Edition is basically a modified version of Windows XP (just to make it smaller basically) you can read more about it here.

Microsoft Windows XP Starter Edition Fact Sheet: An overview of the features and benefits of Microsoft Windows XP Starter Edition.

It's still capable of running all the usual Windows things though.

Guest burbles1

I have had two Asus EeePC netbooks (10-inch) for around 1-1.5 years and they are quite good. Battery life realistically is 3.5 hours with continuous usage, going down to 2 hours with extended use (nearly time to throw the battery out). Screen brightness can be adjusted to suit indoors or outside in sunny weather - no problems with seeing the screen in the sun (and with polaroids on) if you turn up the brightness. No problems with screen flicker at all.

I use it only for emails and web surfing, but have been thinking about using the PDF ERSA on it.

For a pretty good deal on the eee pc 1001-ha have a look at notebooksrus : Netbooks Melbourne | Buy Netbook | Executive Netbooks | Netbook Accessories | Notebooks R Us | Melbourne | Australia, they have one model there for $339, similar specs to the one Major found, but with 160Gb HDD, but that ought to be more than enough for what we want to do.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a small netbook to hook my handheld GPS into, for a moving map setup using Google Earth, with the images cached on disk prior to flying Hhhmmm, hope that 160Gb is enough. Is the Asus EEE PC the one to go for? How about one of the Acer Aspire models?

Cheers,

Tony

Acer isn't a fantastic brand ;) Asus is much better. I'm going to open a test wireless account and test how well it performs up at 5000' (with an instructor of course) on my sisters Asus EEE PC, I'll tell you how it goes.

-Andrew

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks Guys, great stuff, you've all answered my initial question well. When I decipher it all and discuss with my IT teacher wife i may have another question or two. Cheers thanks again.:thumb_up:...............................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

All I can add is stay away from Vodaphone Wireless. I learnt the hard way.

Also the Apple I PAD when it makes in here could be quite a powerful friend to aviators.

Jim..

Guest Howard Hughes

Hi Maj,

Whatever you do, don't get less than a 10" screen! Even with that size you will find yourself scrolling back and forth to complete tasks. I also have a EEE and find quite a capable machine.

Guest Wigg

At temora we had 3 people with vodaphone phones & they couldn't get any coverage anywhere in Temora area. So would think it would apply to wireless also. We had trouble with getting coverage with them in late 1990's nothing appears to have changed there.

Guest Howard Hughes

If you are happy with Vodaphones coverage, I'm with a company that offers 1GB of wireless/mobile download for $20 per month.

PM me of you want details!

They also have 12 cent calls and 12 cent SMS, the cheapest I have found anywhere...

For build quality & value, strongly recommend ASUS (I've owned a number of them). MSI seem good, as well. I think Acer are poor quality. Toshiba, HP are good, but tend to be overpriced. Apple 12" models are good, but very expensive in comparison.

Couple of comments or recommendations on netbooks:

- Don't buy one with a 9" screen - the key board is MUCH more cramped than the 10" models.

- The later models (especially ASUS) had significantly better battery life (901 in the 9" models, not sure which of the 10"), but it is about double the life.

- Most seem to have power inputs of 11-12 volts, so car charger/ 12V arrangements should result in fairly low power drain (no need for a transformer, with luck) - my EEE 901 has a power adapter output of 3A at 12V at maximum.

Online Shopping @ iiBuy.com.au!, The Ultimate Bargain Online often have good deals, and a reasonable range.

One last comment - mobile internet is nice, but none of the mobile carriers are licensed for any airborne use - so they may one day pull the plug (sic) on you...

Jim

If you didn't like vodaphone coverage then definitely don't go with 3 mobile phone, I used to have one and I could have done better with two jam tins and a bit of string between them.

Brian

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks also Brian and Jim.............................................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

As hard as it is to say it... Telstra are the way to go if you want coverage. That and an external ariel on the ute I get coverage in a lot of way ward places. You PAY for it, but it does work.