• Please read this important announcement HERE

Morgan Cougar Mk 2.

Guernsey

Ratings
1,471 33
Country
Country
Gary Morgan of Morgan Aeroworks has recently emailed me with details of his latest venture, the four seat Cougar Mk 2 which he has allowed me to forward on to our Forum members.
As you can see from the sketch diagram it is similar to the well known Cougar Mk 1 with increased payload up to a MTOW of 950kgs which includes full fuel and two 90kg passengers in the front and two 80kg passengers in the rear. It can cruise at 150 knots and if loaded to 600kg has an approach speed of only 50 knots. As with the other Morgans it can be de-rigged and trailered. Check out the details on the diagram.
Alan Marriette (A Morgan fan.)

Attachments

rgmwa

First Class Member
Ratings
1,279 26
Country
Country
To be honest, I wouldn't know where to start if I had to design an aircraft (despite being an engineer), so anyone who can do it, much less run a successful commercial operation, deserves a lot of respect in my book. The sketch reminds me a bit of the Sling 4 that those South African guys flew around the world. It will be interesting to see how the Cougar performs. Any idea when we might see a prototype?
rgmwa

Camel

Ratings
1,008 21
Country
Country
I wish to make a point that I have flown the Cougars that have been built to date and know Gary well enough to say he is a Gentleman and a great designer/ builder, also the Cougar is a a well behaved with good low and high speed performance and does not disappoint. I have flown many types and look forward to seeing and flying anything that Gary builds or designs. Go fly with him, he is a good pilot and a good honest bloke. He has been in Ultralights a long time and in Gliders for a very long time and when not doing that he has a few model planes. If you have doubts ask to fly the Cougar you will be amazed at its low speed performance and then at high speed it is very comfortable, a nice plane. I hope I get an invite to fly a Lycoming powered Cougar Mk II . I have over 60 hours in Morgan Sierras and like them very much, but the truth be known I am a high wing man and have owned a C172 for nine years before I sold it for a RAA plane.

kgwilson

Ratings
2,026 33
Country
Country
I was in Taree on Monday organising the engine for my Sierra & Garry tells me there has been a lot of interest since he emailed the Mk 2 sketch to various people. It has sort of gone viral in an aviation sense. It seems a number are making the trek to Taree to check the Cougar out. He has a Lycoming 0320 on the way for the new model. With all the !@#$ he has been (& is still going) through his positive attitude was great to see.

David Isaac

Ratings
2,306 17
Country
Country
Damn Kev, I was in Taree on Monday but had to leave early to get home. I wanted to catch up with Garry and see how he was going. I could have bumped into you as well.

Its certainly going to be a big hump to get over, but he can. He acknowledges the mistakes, he just needs the right support and encouragement. Hopefully he will get that now.

Garry Morgan

Morgan range of aircraft
Ratings
245 4
With the new CASA rec. licence the new Cougar will have 4 seats and 6+ hrs of fuel with the Lycoming. motor it will be 100mm higher off the ground. folding front seats at the front. It will carry 4 people and full fuel, and a quick derig into a trailer.

David Isaac

Ratings
2,306 17
Country
Country
Unfortunately Garry the only advantage the RPL will give a pilot over the RA Aus PC is an increase in MTOW to 1500Kgs and CTA entry and aeros with the appropriate endorsements. You are still limited to pilot plus one PAX.

Your Cougar would obviously be VH Exp. registered.

The RPL is a BIG disappointment because what had been touted as a Drivers medical it NOT. It is a CASA Recreational medical because they have added about 10 other medical conditions to the medical that are not included in the drivers medical. What is worse is that it is a tick box medical with no discretion available by the GP. If you have or have had any of the listed conditions you cannot get an RPL medical and your only route would be a Class 2 (or 1) via a DAME which in my opinion is a better option, because there are remedies via the DAME process that are not available via the GP and the RPL medical. The whole thing is quite misleading really.

The original idea was that if you could no longer pass a class 2 you might be able to get an RPL with the reduced privileges and still fly your C or P etc. NOT going to happen, if you cant pass the class2, you wont pass an RPL. So the RPL really only provides a route from RA Aus to RPL , not from PPL to RPL (unless there are no medical issues).

Garry Morgan

Morgan range of aircraft
Ratings
245 4
Yes to fly it as a 4 seat aircraft with 4 people you will need a CASA medical, but your RAA licence can be changed over, if you cant get a class two medical your wife has a lot of shopping space. As far as i know the Cougar is the only 4 seat you can de rig into a trailer.

Ratings
104 6
Country
Country
Or a nice big swag so you and a close friend can get out and do some flying / travelling instead of sitting on the computer and talking about it.