spartan trike question???

hello everyone im new here and to the trike scene,i have a question for yall.. i have a spartan dfs 2 place trike with a 15 meter strut braced north wing, im trying to move it closer to me, almost 6" !! moving the collars what we call a safe amount (3/4" each way) doesnt seem to help, any ideas??? with a 200# person the bar is almost touching the front brace and it flys with my arms fully extended (im 6' tall) with another 200# person its against the front brace taking off and lots of runway.. thanks in advance for your time and any information thanks matt

Hi Matt sorry can't help you with any information on trikes , but would like to welcome you to the best forum for that sort of information. We have a fair few trike users on here & I am sure they will get back to you. The people on here are very friendly & hope you continue to be a forumite for quite some time . Cheers John

Guest davidh10

Matt;

Again, I am unable to give specific advice. I cannot even find the "Spartan" manufacturer's web site, only a couple of dealers.

Check your flight manual for the trike to see what loading it is designed / rated to carry. As an example, my Airborne XT912 will carry 2 x 100Kg (220lb) people, but at that loading the fuel tank cannot be filled completely without exceeding the MTOW, so you do have to watch that.

Moving the wing so that you can more easily apply a higher angle of attack risks creating a powered stall on take-off. A very dangerous situation when close to the ground, so if I were you, I would consult the manual to check that it has been assembled correctly and that the MTOW has not been exceeded (I note they can come as kit form), then contact the manufacturer for specific advice on that make / model.

Safe flying.

Hi Matt,

Is the DFS trike base with the 15m North Wing a factory supplied wing + trike base combination?

The only time you should adjust your control frame forwards or backwards WRT the wing is if you are using the wing on a different trike base with different geometry.

That is, in flight, the range of angles about the hang point from horizontal (or vertical) from pilots chest to front brace tube in the arc your control bar will move in is different to the trike base the wing was designed to be used with. I would normally measure these angles with the trike base suspended from the hang point.

If at all possible, you should always consult the wing manufacturer before making any changes and be extremely cautious with the first flight, eg, Whenever I put a wing back in service after any repair the first flights consist of getting the trike almost up to stall speed so that only the nose wheel will lift and checking there are no adverse roll characteristics in the wing while the back wheels are still on the ground, 2nd run no higher than 10ft AGL progressively testing pitch control only and landing again before the end of the runway. The longer the runway the better, 2,500ft or more recommended. Runway length should not be a problem in the USA.

I think I would have touched on this subject in this thread.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/microlight-trikes-aircraft/25428-buzzard-trike-restoration.html

Finally the disclaimer. The above is only how I do it. I am not an instructor. I am not an Aeronautical Engineer, I am not a licensed aircraft mechanic. The regulations in your location may or may not allow you to do this yourself and it is your responsibility to check.

Cheers,

Glen

• Like 1

thanks

john, david, and glen thanks for the welcome and the info i cant find much info on this trike either i am told it came with this wing, but who knows im going to try to get in touch with a dealer tomm but havent had much luck so far flies great i just want the bar a little closer to me to be a little more comfortable when fling thanks guys matt

Hi and welcome

Not having a lot of forward movement left to the front strut ( I assume you are talking about trim position) , my guess is, probably not that nice a situation as I am guessing it severely limits your amount of wing control? As others have touched on - the stall speed / position is probably important to know as well.

Ray

• 7 years later...
hello everyone im new here and to the trike scene,i have a question for yall.. i have a spartan dfs 2 place trike with a 15 meter strut braced north wing, im trying to move it closer to me, almost 6" !! moving the collars what we call a safe amount (3/4" each way) doesnt seem to help, any ideas??? with a 200# person the bar is almost touching the front brace and it flys with my arms fully extended (im 6' tall) with another 200# person its against the front brace taking off and lots of runway.. thanks in advance for your time and any information thanks matt

IMG_0030.JPG.beb0cb3f448dd515fe4673edbeffa12a.JPG Search for me on FaceBook

@ ( AirSportsUSA )

I can help with anything

DFS Spartan PPCs or Trikes ,,

USA Dealer

My site will be back up soon

Mark @ AirSportsUSA.com ,

I also buy back old

1 & 2 seats "DFS Spartans"

Trike & Powered Parachutes