J250 Slip to landing

Howard4113

I've had this happen a few times in my J250-SP... Coming to land full flaps and a bit high. Enter a slip to increase descent rate and suddenly, the plane drops like it's stalled (but it's not). The nose drops at the same time. Foreward on the stick and full power will stop the rapid descent. Is this normal behavior? I've slipped a few LSA's and they increase the rate of descent, but nothing like this!

Responses appreciated,

Mark

I've had this happen a few times in my J250-SP... Coming to land full flaps and a bit high. Enter a slip to increase descent rate and suddenly, the plane drops like it's stalled (but it's not). The nose drops at the same time. Foreward on the stick and full power will stop the rapid descent. Is this normal behavior? I've slipped a few LSA's and they increase the rate of descent, but nothing like this!Responses appreciated,

Mark

Sounds like you might be blanking the tail and losing elevator authority.

Check with the manufacturer if your handbook doesn't deal with slipping in the landing configuration,

kaz

Kaz you might be on to something. I used to fly 172's and some models have a placards on the dash warning about slips with flaps extended. Today, I was out with our club chief CFI and demonstrated the maneuver at altitude, and he thought that the tail surfaces were getting blanked by the flaps. It didn't really STALL this time though, but I did not hold it long after I felt the controls get mushy. Once bitten - twice shy. I'm going to try a good full rudder slip without flaps next flight to build my confidence back up. If I survive that - then maybe again progressing to full flaps.

Kaz you might be on to something. I used to fly 172's and some models have a placards on the dash warning about slips with flaps extended. Today, I was out with our club chief CFI and demonstrated the maneuver at altitude, and he thought that the tail surfaces were getting blanked by the flaps. It didn't really STALL this time though, but I did not hold it long after I felt the controls get mushy. Once bitten - twice shy. I'm going to try a good full rudder slip without flaps next flight to build my confidence back up. If I survive that - then maybe again progressing to full flaps.

Do it at altitude and preferably with your instructor on board if you aren't current on spin recovery as stalling with crossed controls is a good entry manouvrer. I also think you should have a little extra speed on and make sure you have straightened up before going to full power.

kaz