EOI for a Welding course

Hi Scotty, Could you please add me to your list. I'd really like to learn to TIG weld for an upcoming project.Cheers

Darren

Hi Darren..yes of course! Welcome aboard! Your number nine so we only have three spots left. At this stage we have a number of people from different States attending. We are in the midst of finalising dates so as soon as we know, you will too!

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

The latest information filtering in as follows:

Due to time constraints at the college, the course has been delegated to a Saturday and Sunday. We have dates to be confirmed Monday but are looking at November 2nd & 3rd.

It will be held at the Canberra Institute of Technology.

The maximum number of students is 12. At present we have 9 from various States interested. Each student will have the use of a TIG machine and tools. You will be required to provide your own welding helmet, jacket and gloves. I have just purchased each of these items from Ebay for a total of approx $130.

The course has been designed for us and is aimed at TIG welding 4130 Chrome Moly and hoping to touch on Aluminum on the second day.

As part of the course fee, I will post each student a copy of the EAA TIG welding DVD to watch before attending. This DVD is a fantastic introduction to TIG welding 4130. We have structured the course so we are not wasting time doing a whole lot of theory when we should be hands on welding. By watching this DVD prior it covers a lot of what you will need to know regarding the theory.

To make it as easy as possible for all, we are looking at organising sandwich platters for lunch from Subway both days. The cost of these will be incorporated in the course fee.

If we have 10 people, the cost is going to be around $450 each. If we get 12 students it will be slightly cheaper. We are not looking at making any profit what so ever so anything left over can be refunded equally after the course.

There will be some sort of attainment certificate issued afterwards which may help when the final inspection of your project comes around.

My friend on the ground in Canberra is doing a great job organising with the instructors at the college and is looking in to a Motel who can offer us a deal for a few nights. The Motel will be extra.

What we will require is your $450 payment to be made by the end of July. This will be nonrefundable unless the course is cancelled. If payment is not received by end of July, your spot on the course will be made available to others. This gives everyone over 2 months to organise the funds. Tax time is just around the corner so you might have a little return to spend! If you think you need to make a payment plan that is fine but let me know. I will issue each person who pays with a receipt.

If you intend on flying in to Canberra, as an indication, I looked at Tamworth to Canberra return and it is $400. Book airfares early to get the best rates!

For those who have expressed an interest I will be in contact over the coming weeks. Anyone else who is keen please contact me soon as we have 3 spots left at the moment. The instructors have requested we get each student to give me a brief outline of what welding experience they have if any. That way they can tailor the course for every ones wants. I have next to no experience so dont be shy!

• Like 1

Its locked in! November 2nd & 3rd at the Canberra Institute of Technology. It looks like the cost will be around $450 per person. This includes the course fees, the TIG welding DVD from the EAA and lunch both days. Hours will be 8am to 4pm.

For those who have expressed an interest on this forum, can you please message me with your name, postal address, phone number, email and if you will need a Motel room and for how many nights. We need payment by the end of July. I will place a bulk order to the EAA for the DVD's and forward those to each person before the course.

At this time we have 9 places taken so only 3 left. If we get more than the max 12, I will take a list and at the end of July, those who havent paid will be struck off and the next person on the list offered a spot.

My man on the ground in Canberra is talking to a local Motel if anyone needs a place to sleep.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, any chance of putting me down for one of those DVD's?

Hi Downunder....it wouldnt be fair to take orders just for the DVDs. Maybe Ian can add it to the Clearprop shop and we could all buy them from him to support the site. I will contact Ian and see if he wants to. Im organising the course and as part of the course you receive the DVD. Your welcome to join us on the course, we have one spot left at this time.

• 2 weeks later...

We have reached our maximum of 12 students for this course. In saying that we will probably find a couple may drop out when the money is due end of July.

I will start a wait list if anyone else would like to come. Who ever hasnt paid by due date will be struck off and the next on the list offered a spot.I cant see another course being offered by us so if you would like to attend, let me know asap. It is on Nov 2nd & 3rd 2013 at the Canberra Institute of Technology

There are 2 who expressed interest and have been messaged but havent replied. I have sent you two a PM again so if you havent heard from me please check you in box.

• Winner 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Thought I would post a quick update on the TIG Welding course we held last weekend in Canberra. We had 12 guys from all over Australia converge at the TAFE in Fyshwick and we spent 2 days learning to TIG weld.

Most of the guys are building aircraft and from this forum. Judging by the feedback I am receiving, they all had a good time and have walked away with an understanding and practical hands on skills to carry on at home and better themselves.

Thank you to all the guys and look forward to checking out your new skills in the aircraft you are building!

I tried uploading a few pics but having trouble with this new format.

• Like 2

Second what Scott said, it was a great hands on course and a big thanks to Scott and George for organising it. It was also great to meet a few forum members and put faces to names. Now I just have to save up and buy that tig machine ;-)

If you are a builder and get the chance to do a hands on course . . . Go for it.

• Like 1