New boy needs some advice!

Hi

This is my first post in this forum and indeed forums are a fairly new concept to me so I hope this is not an inappropriate use of this particular facility.

I have a PPL earned at Bankstown in the eightys, stopped flying when my status went from carefree bachelor to family man, and having now popped out the other end, somewhat wiser (perhaps), and certainly older, I have resumed flying.

I trained as an electrician at Hawker de Havilland (Lidcombe andBankstown) in the sixtys and progressed through their drafting office to Electrical Engineering as a career albeit with other employers. De Havilland sewed in me a seed of their history and many of the old boys were still around in those days. I especially remember standing outside Sid Marshall’s hanger ( age 19) in awe at the stuff in there when Sid come out for a breather and asked what I wanted. I was allowed to go and look and touch many wondrous things, it was my King Tut’s tomb!

Since those now distant days I have had a latent thought of flying and perhaps even owning a de Havilland Tiger Moth but never thought it ever achievable. It may be now within my grasp and here is the reason for this post.

I notice that it may be possible to buy a Tiger Moth for something less than $100K and whilst this may be within my capabilities I have no idea of the associated costs of aircraft ownership, Tiger Moths in particular. Is the purchase cost likely to be the least of my financial considerations? I have a few vintage cars and have restored some early cars (1904 – 1929) so have some concepts about old machinery and the mechanical sympathy required when dealing with them and am willing to accept this, no doubt sometimes unpredictable, aspect of vintage aircraft.

If any of you could help with the benefit of your experience I would be most grateful. It may well be that such information will preclude me from pursuing the idea at all. I especially don’t want to waste the time of potential vendors in what may well turn into what appears to be a tyre kicking exercise (for them).

With thanks.

Mack , you and I must have been around Bankstown at the same time. I was teaching at Liverpool high and flew kingy's Auster and also with Keith Robey

I was fortunate to get to instruct on DH 82's ( no one else WANTED to) up at RNAC Newcastle.

Some people have a total love affair with the tiger. It does have it's faults and most have brakes fitted and the wheels moved a bit forward. and a tailwheel instead of the skid

They virtually build Tigers from new at Luskintyre. You must go there and see and talk with the people. Some here know more of the gatherings they have there than I do. It is a fair while since I went there now, but I am aware of the activity. Always have an expert inspect the plane you want to buy.

I (like you) have always fiddled with old motors and race cars. The Gypsy has more problems than it used to but I believe in running it as close to original as possible. In their day the 1© was as reliable a motor as existed. What does it matter if you burn a bit of oil? It would be nice if alloy heads were available new. I have seen some around but De Hav's were not helping last time I looked at it. Nev

• Like 1

Hi Nev, Thanks for your reply.

Certainly I remember Keith Robey from my Bankstown days and I believe he died a few days ago.

Your not the first to mention Luskintyre and it seems a good place to start…thanks.

I am most interested in your experiences as a Tiger instructor. This is a “how long is a piece of string” question but I am curious to know how difficult it is for a relatively low time Cessna 152/172/182 pilot (such as myself) to convert to the Tiger? Further, what were the main issues with pilots converting?

Thanks, John.

Hi Mack

Can I suggest you get in touch with the President of the Antique Aeroplane Association, Matt Grigg, email

[email protected] and ask to be put in touch with Ray Vuillerman?

Ray is a Tiger owner and instructor with a heck of a lot of experience.

There is a very nice Tiger advertised in Rag and Tube . 1943 TTAF 2160 Engine 160 SMOH located at Wedderburn, Sydney. Rebuilt by Ray Windred in 2003 and not flown since. Deceased estate. Phone 02 9624 4310 and speak to Frank. $85k.

Not a hard aeroplane to fly but a hard one to fly well.

Kaz

Hi Kaz,

Thanks for your suggestions and I will join up with the AAA and at least get in the loop. Regarding the (tempting) aircraft at Wedderburn: Before wasting any vendor's time I really need to explore the realistic running expenses, especially fixed costs, to ensure it is comfortably achievable and further, to learn the questions to ask. I have taken Nev's suggestion on board to have an expert check any potential purchase out.

I saw a picture of your 'plane in central Australia (I think)...looks very nice.

Thanks again, John.

Mack, a drifter SB flys much like a Tiger. Most wheel the tiger on these days ( which I find a bit weird). If you get round to three pointing it,( and I suggest you should). Keep the stick hard back after landing and have the tailskid (or wheel) touch the ground just before the mains and it will stay there. The rudder and the controls don't "feel" nice. They are a bit sloppy and dead, but you will get over that.

Coming off the c-152 etc you will take a while to taxi it well and never relax on the rudder while you are moving. If you remove your feet off the rudder in the air it yaws so you have to keep them on the pedals all the time. It's not a particularly difficult plane to fly. It sideslips very effectively if your technique is correct.. You have to watch your control position when taxying on windy days.

If the plane is restored well you shouldn't be up for a lot of cost. hangar it well. Make sure there are no rats/mice snakes around Make sure the fuel tank is built/repaired well and you should have a larger tank as there is only about 2 and3/4 hours to empty. You should be able to service the engine yourself with your background. You still have to have it signed off and the original plane has no electrics whatever. If you get in touch with Ray Vuillermin give him my regards I've flown one of his planes and have known him for 48 years. Few would have more experience than he has. Nev

Hi Nev,

Thanks for your tips...always good to have a bit of a heads up before starting another adventure. I have applied to join AAA and it seems my quest may well lead me to him. If so I will pass on your greetings....48 years...you must have known each other in infants school!

Cheers, John.