Vale : Nelson Smith

Kev Y

I am not sure if too many of you are familiar with Nelson - he mainly posted on "that other" forum.

Nelson was a regular fixture around the airfield here at LaTrobe Valley. He was often found tinkering on his partners SP4, and was a real comedian always ready with a joke or a story, some which were just repeatable in mixed company.

Nelson was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer early this year and sadly passed away on saturday. He will be deeply missed by those who knew him.

Kev.

Guest Darren Masters

Very sad indeed. R.I.P. Lung cancer also gets those that have never smoked (just for the record). I think I've met Nelson somewhere along the line on travels to Latrobe with Paul Andronicou.

Guest Michael Coates

We seem to have most of our RAA members at a very vulnerable age group.

We lost Roger Porter about four weeks ago, Roger was the driving force behind the development of the Gold Coast Sports Flying Club and we would still have a lump of swamp if it were not for his outstanding efforts into developing a swamp into an airfield.

Roger also was president of our club for a number of years and lost a very quick battle with leukaemia, he seemed to be perfect one week and gone the next (it actually took a bit longer but that's how it looked to most members). We all have to be thankful for the contributions made in the development of our sport by these people ! their efforts should not go unnoticed.

Nelson was a very good friend and a great bloke to have known, always with a cheeky smile and his affectionate laugh I'll always remember.

RIP Nelson and I'll say my goodbyes on Friday mate.